Rear air conditioning unit - removal

James NZ

Hiya,

Since we had our little earthquake I've been using the disco as my works vehicle. I must add its just great over the cr*ppy roads we have now. In case your wondering, I'm a self employed builder and want to add a "tray" for my tools that I can remove for off road trips. To maximise space I want to remove all of the rear seats (7 seater) and the air con unit and then fit the 5 seater side bins. So how much off a mission is it to remove the air con, and does it affect the front unit?

Cheers, james NZ

Hiya Bowie69

Actually the car is ex Japan and the unit is mounted on the left hand side, which also means that the side facing seat sticks out further into the load area. I don't have a picture at the moment but could take one this Friday as I normally take the afternoon off to do "important stuff" ;-)

Actually, it was a factory option - but it is really very rare...

There are some pictures somewhere on here of a unit installed in a disco, on a thread asking about a rear load bay cover.

I am afraid I don't know if it is linked into the vehicle aircon, although I would have thought a quick look underneath would allow you to see if there are any pipes running up to the compressor and aircon heat exchanger.

Mark

As Mark said above, it was a factory option.

My mate had a 7-seater with it fitted and it moves the LH seat over into the load bay by quite a bit.

My mate doesn't have his Discovery anymore, so here's some pics I found on the web -

16869636.jpg

16869640.jpg

Actually, it was a factory option - but it is really very rare...

There are some pictures somewhere on here of a unit installed in a disco, on a thread asking about a rear load bay cover.

I am afraid I don't know if it is linked into the vehicle aircon, although I would have thought a quick look underneath would allow you to see if there are any pipes running up to the compressor and aircon heat exchanger.

Mark

I stand corrected. When i heard japqan spec i assumed it was a 300.

As Mark said above, it was a factory option.

My mate had a 7-seater with it fitted and it moves the LH seat over into the load bay by quite a bit.

My mate doesn't have his Discovery anymore, so here's some pics I found on the web -

16869636.jpg

16869640.jpg

i's leave it and buy a ute!

I have a '96 UK spec Disco 1 ES and this has the air con unit fitted in the same place described by James NZ, behind left dickie seat, I am also looking at the possibility of removing both the seats and unit as the compressor has been removed by a previous owner, it would free up quite a lot of the load space. Can't bilieve no one has come across this before, it must be factory spec as all the panels fit perfectly, as good as LR would have done anyway lol.

Hi guys,

thanks to all who responded to this query. To be honest I thought the rear air con unit may have been a bit more popular, certainly my kids love it in the summer here. Thanks to PaulMc for posting the pictures, you can certainly see how much room it takes up. Also thanks to jiginc for the pdf's. I was a bit uncertain of how to proceed as my son's puppy chewed my rave cd! Anybody want a labrador??

Cheers, james

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

You know as they say: one persons' junk is another persons' treasure?! :rolleyes:

I have a defender 90 and I live in Dubai. Of course, we won't be able to live without A/C in the soaring summer heat.

I was curious if I can fit the rear A/C of a disco II in the defender?! It would suit the 110 but I can just use one distribution duct for the 90.

What are the dimensions of the rear evaporator/blower assembly?

• 1 month later...