300TDi oil pressure sender for factory gauge

Can anyone confirm P/N PRC4043 is the correct sender for the factory oil pressure gauge? I tried searching, but have had no luck finding a P/N. I came up with that one from the Microcat and various parts seller websites, but I can't find a conclusive reference to the 300TDi.

Many thanks!

PRC4043 is for all 2.5 engines including 200tdi but NOT 300Tdi, there isn't one listed,

mine is more square shouldered than the one on here

it should be possible to fit one but I don't know the thread type/size for it or the oil pressure warning light switch hole on the 300Tdi filter head.you'd need an adaptor to make it fit.

microcat says oil gauges [pressure & temp] are for vehicle up to chassis LA939975 which was the last of the 200Tdi vehicles.

Well, fudge. I suppose the gauge originated in a 200TDi vehicle then. I'd think the sender would work, as you say just need an appropriate adapter, and I suppose a T to keep the warning light sender.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi TS888

I was watching your thread and just wondered if you had any update.

Did the parts that Western listed fit ?.

Would like to do this job also so any update would be great.

Regards

Frax ;)

300 has a different oil filter head, not sure if the genuine bits I used will fit, they are actually meant for the pre-Tdi 4 cylinder engines, but the 200tdi oil filter head is a common part with the older 4 cyl engines, I found the numbers on the TD & n/a diesel oil filter head pages in my 110 parts book.

Getting there Ralf.

Removed the oil pressure switch today and after hunting about to see if I had anything to match the thread I found that it is the same thread a brake pipe.

That’s the one that slides over the brake pipe and into the calliper.

I could use a brass tee like the one on the back axial but knowing my luck it would tighten up in the wrong position, I would rather do as you did with a banjo fitting.

I know that you will be able to tell me the thread of the top of your head ( I hope) and then it should be just a case of ordering the parts.

Did thing of fitting it a bit away from the filter using brake pipe and securing the tee to something but have changed my mind as no where close to fit it and I don’t want to restrict the flow.

Regards

Frax ;)

I've just done this.

The thread is M10x1 and the problem is getting it all to fit around the oil filter housing. As you say a "T" piece won't necessarily line up. I bought a sender that had 2 contacts, 1 for the gauge and the other is a low pressure warning light sender ( expensive). The difficulty with this sender is that when you tighten it up, it fouls the housing because of it's size and won't tighten completely so I bought an adaptor that is meant to screw into the housing and has a threaded hole for a low pressure switch. This is long enough to avoid the sender fouling and I just put an M10 bolt into the other hole.

This is what I mean

DSCF0591-1.jpg

Malcolm

Getting there Ralf.

Removed the oil pressure switch today and after hunting about to see if I had anything to match the thread I found that it is the same thread a brake pipe.

That’s the one that slides over the brake pipe and into the calliper.

I could use a brass tee like the one on the back axial but knowing my luck it would tighten up in the wrong position, I would rather do as you did with a banjo fitting.

I know that you will be able to tell me the thread of the top of your head ( I hope) and then it should be just a case of ordering the parts.

Did thing of fitting it a bit away from the filter using brake pipe and securing the tee to something but have changed my mind as no where close to fit it and I don’t want to restrict the flow.

Regards

Frax ;)

Sorry I don't know what the thread type or size is, looks like the solution below by Dads Toy would be the easiest way to go.

Have done Ralf and ran it up the oil pressure switch wire and along the loom.

Was able to squeeze it through the large gromit with the rest of the loom.

Just need to finish the rest of my dash now and fit the VDO Gauge.

Regards

Frax ;)

I can see how that would help after looking at some of yours.

Really glad you kept all your info, it has been of great help to loads of us.

It is so easy to rush through it all and think you will remember, a few years down the line and you have the enevitable problem and you cant remember what you had for dinner last night.

Thanks again.

Frax ;)

If I remember, I rang them up to get one that had M10 x 1 thread and also read 0-5bar.

The 300Tdi normal oil pressure range is 1.7 - 3.8 bar (25 - 55psi)so with a big scale you'll hardly see the needle move.

With the 2 terminal sender it's simply a case of connecting the wire you take off your original warning light sender and screwing it onto the WK terminal on the sender the other, marked G, unsurprisingly connects to the gauge.

The picture in my earlier post only shows 1 wire as the other terminal is hidden by the pipe.

hth

Malcolm