Defender bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier

Not all Wolfs have the spare on the side. Some use that system that John has shewn. That is the normal Defender bonnet spare wheel mount. Just like the one I threw away ???

I now use the MOD series/ Air portable type bonnet mount. I find it much easier to use.

HTH

Interesting. I always imagined the bonnets themselves were different. I am pretty sure the one on the 109 Stage 1 I had for a while was somewhat sculptured to make the wheel fit better but I could be imagining it. If all I need is the fixing kit as shown on the Paddocks site then I will keep my eyes open for one.

Cheers

Mark

Guest wunntenn

All you need is the kit, cut and drill and bolt on. Caveats - pain in the bum to lift the bonnet, and if it falls it kills you (instead of just a sore head) and more annoying is that the changed airflow cause by the tyre (at least on my vehicle) caused the window wash liquid to go vertical rather than onto the window. And dont even think about a spare wheel cover as it will swell up with the wind and make visibility slightly less. Oh yes and when it fills with snow and freezes you cant get it off. And unless you seal it properly it allows water to run in onto the top of the engine and can rust various bits that normally dont get wet. Apart from that its a great thing to have.

Mine has some reinforced hockey stick shaped channeling at the stress points on the underside of the bonnet frame I think they are spot welded,

I know you can buy the braces and you could rivet it in place, oh and they use a solid bonnet stay on the military bonnets that carry a spare wheel

I tried the wheel on the bonnet but I couldnt see over it being a bit short and It nearly killed me opening it!!

What is wrong with you younger members. LOL Can't lift a bonnet with a spare on. I manage easily enough at my age......There is a knack to it though. Those of you brought up on Series Ones will know what I mean. Yes the late bonnet stay makes it easier to chock.

As for seeing over the top. I have a Discovery steel wheel with a cover on...I carry my sand mats in the spare wheel well, I have no difficulties at 5' 8" seeing over the wheel.

Cant fit alloys to the standard one without filing out the centre of the wheel a little.

On a td5 you can fit the standard carrier but you need at least a 3mm chequer plate in the bonnet well to stiffen it up and dont bother with the extra rubbers as the weight is then spread better.

Nope, early (1983) 110 bonnet. Previous owner had removed rear door wheel carrier and basically drilled 4 holes in the bonnet and bolted it down. Bit of an abomination. Personally I like the bonnet wheel but would want it done right. Has nobody ever found a way of using gas struts to open the open more easily with the wheel up there?

• 1 month later...

You can put a small bungee net over the cover to stop it "ballooning" and it then gives you somewhere to shove a tow strop or something similar, which also stops the cover blowing up. The biggest problem I found with fitting mine was trying to release the bonnet catch with all the extra weight on it (not the release - used a clothes peg to hold that out). In the end I removed it and fitted rubber bonnet stays instead.

Are the paddocks kits pretty easy to fit? My bonnet is the right age for them (1989). Only thing is, the bonnet is about the only pristine thing left on my 110, so if i fit the spare carrier to it, i dont want to screw it up! Do the bonnet hinges/bushes cope ok with the weight?