Converting from lt77 to r380

I've currently got a 1989 90 with a 300tdi engine and the original lt77 gearbox, which I'm keen to swap for a defender r380. Could anyone give me a list of parts I may need so that I can start trying to price it up? So far I've come up with:

r380 gearbox

r380 seatbox, transmission tunnel & floor pans

r380 slave cylinder

a couple of clutch pipes

square-style gearbox xmember

I've only recently put a clutch in but that should all swap straight over shouldn't it?

My new chassis has 2 sets of engine mounts so that should all be fine.

Many thanks, Harry

Thanks for the quick reply! I managed to avoid cutting my PAS pipes so they can be re-used, oil cooler pipes will need replacing as they have been extended and i shall probably get some silicone rad/intercooler pipes. Found an airbox/inlet pipe in the shed today also :D

looks like this will be an expensive shopping bill!

Harry

Be easier to fit a stumpy r380 from Ashcrofts wouldnt it? Otherwise i think you jave the hassle of moving the engine forward (as mentioned above) and re-welding mounts. It probably wouldnt work out much difference price wise in the long run.

Wouldn't it be easier to put another LT77 in ?

Mo

Or that! :P

I have no problems with my LT77s. If you can stretch to a later one, they are supposed to be better than the earlier variants. I havent driven an r380, so cant comment on that, but i have no desire to fit one either if that means anything....

As mensioned, a short shaft R380 would be the easiest way. I have one in my 200tdi 110 and its fantastic.. and no mods need to be made.

If you used a standard Defender R380 then you'd have to either put your 300 in the proper 300 position or your props wouldnt fit, nor would the gear leavers come up in the proper position.

As mensioned, a short shaft R380 would be the easiest way. I have one in my 200tdi 110 and its fantastic.. and no mods need to be made.

If you used a standard Defender R380 then you'd have to either put your 300 in the proper 300 position or your props wouldnt fit, nor would the gear leavers come up in the proper position.

is it worth the price you had to pay though?

is it worth the price you had to pay though?

Moneys not really an object with my 110... However, the idea of being able to fit an oil cooler sounded good at the time, and still does now. The other thing was I didnt pay full price because Dave Ashcroft (who is one of the most helpful people out there) took 3 smashed up LT77's in part exchange.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have a brand new richards chassis with 2 sets of engine mounts, one for 300tdi/lt 77 and another for factory fit 300tdi/r380 so engine mounts aren't an issue. I was also given a supposed r380 at the weekend but it turned out to be an lt77, the bloke got confused!

I dropped the engine in this weekend with the lt77 but the other set of mounts are in the way of the exhaust downpipe, so thought i would try and price up putting an r380 in, also I already have the correct seatbox.

After thinking about it, i'm going to stick with my lt77 for now because it's in good condition then consider changing when it eventually dies. We will probably have to fabricate a very complicated downpipe or remove most of the mount, in which case i'll fit the stumpy r380 later on.

Am i right in saying that the downpipe should have as long a straight as possible coming from the turbo?

Thanks all,

Harry