Buying a freelander

sharpy

Hiya all,

I own a 90 but our lass is going to buy a freelander, we have just been to drive it and it all seemed fine. All the windows, sunroof worked, all electrics seemed ok. It was a 52 plate and the guy wants 3000 for it, which is fine price-wise, it's low mileage at 92k the only thing I couldn't make work and I don't know areally how to is the yellow know on the gear lever, any advice on that would be helpful, I had a little play but it didn't drive differently and I didn't spot a light to say it was on. I have read that if this isn't used very often it can fail, is it me inept operation? Or is it a costly repair waiting to happen?

Paul

IIRC, it has to be used in first gear or reverse. I'm not sure if there is a minimum speed above which it wont work. I would also think that you'd need to be going downhill under the vehicles momentum (no throttle). I've only used ours a couple of times last summer, but they were the conditions ours worked under.

What engine?

TD4 is fairly bullet proof if looked after properly and servicing is dead easy.

1.8P is prone to head gasket problems (same as on MGF etc) so only if buy if recently done (properly) or REALLY cheap.

Transmission on both variants needs checking as if the VCU locks up it can take out the IRD, other than age the primary cause of this seems to be mismatched tyres so check it out or cost in for a new one. On the same thread, check the rear prop is connected as this can be removed to hide the symptoms but is usually covered by saying it has been taken off to save fuel (so by a normal estate car then!).

Other than thet they seem pretty reliable, my wife's TD4 has been a better vehicle since I took over servicing from the main dealer. As long as everything works you should be ok and body rot isn't an issue on these vehicles.

Thanks for that

Really am new to electrics, so what is a VCU? As I said I have a 1987 90, so it's just nuts bolts and tie wraps ;-)

The freelander is a TD4, so looking good then?

Rear prop is still attached as that is something I had read about.

Any more ideas with the yellow trigger on the gear knob most welcome

Paul

VCU is the Viscous Coupling on the drive to the rear axle and is what is prone to siezing up resulting in IRD (Intermediate Reduction Drive) failure (expensive). This is the prime reason for the propshaft being removed (no drive to the rear = no VCU problems) but as you say the prop is in situ this shouldn't be a problem and is easy enough to check.

When you turn at slow speed on full lock it will feel as if the brakes are coming on but to a certain extent this is normal, the trick is to know what is normal and what is too much! A dead giveaway is if you can hear the rear tyres scrabbling for grip when you do this, that certainly shouldn't happen and is often visible in unusual wear to the rear tyres.

The yellow button is the Hill Decent Control.

I have only tried it out a couple of times on my wife's TD4 and I am sure the warning light should come on. I believe it only operates at very low speeds and/or in 1st or reverse, I would check the owners manual but it is in the glovebox and it is raining out there!

It certainly isn't anything mechanical like on a Series or 90/110.

save your money and buy something else freelanders are carp

Read this you fool before you open your mouth!

Launched in the UK in 1997 the Land Rover Freelander redefined its sector of the market - in much the same way as the launch of Discovery had taken the large leisure sector by storm. Within a year, Freelander sales more than doubled and it became the biggest selling 4x4 in the UK.

He did not ask your advice if they are carp he asked about the bloody HDC :rtfm: so keep your ****ty advice to yourself!

Sharpy the TD4 is a realiable chain driven engine without the problems of the 1800cc Petrols! Just change the oil + filter and the breather filter which is a must to avoid turbo damage!

hope this helps

Strange, isn't it, that someone who thinks so little of Freelanders should take the trouble to monitor this forum?!

The HDC is a simple device to maintain a low speed when going down a steep hill in first gear. Only relevant to off-roaders I think, and it certainly wouldn't put me off buying a car if it didn't work.

I think it's more important to ensure that the ABS and Traction Control work properly. The ABS has a warning light that comes on when you start the engine, and goes out when you go over 5mph or thereabouts. If it stays on, or doesn't come on at all, there's a problem. To properly test either ABS or TC, you'll need some wet, muddy, or icy ground (preferably with no-one else about!).

Strange, isn't it, that someone who thinks so little of Freelanders should take the trouble to monitor this forum?!

He's entitled to his opinion. I have a freelander and i dont like it at all (I didnt think it worth mentioning earlier though as I'm sure sharpy has read the other threads on whether or not to buy a freelander). Will hopefully be chopping my f1 in for a secondhand 3 series or z4 in the spring or, if swmbo gets a horse, perhaps a newish 90 to tow it (she doesnt like the heavy clutch on my 110).

On topic.....The key thing with the freelander is to make sure that all the electrics work (i didnt and had a load of bits to fix after i bought mine), that there is nothing untoward prop wise and no wheels skidding around when reversing on full lock. Also check the tyres for any strange wear and that they are all matched with larger tyres on the rear - gives you an idea of whether the owner understands the car and is therefore more or less likely to have encouraged the demise of the vcu. HDC not working on the earlier models may be as simple as the switch, but as mentioned earlier, it only works under certain circumstances, although i think the light comes on regardless.

The attached pdf is from RAVE. Hope that describes the system enough to figure out if the one you were testing was working at all.

I think later models had a switch to the back of the gearlever housing (rather than a collar), but operation otherwise is the same.

HDC.pdf

Plenty of buying advice on this forum if you scroll back a few pages / search etc.

HDC isn't that useful in itself but does indicate it's got ABS and traction control which are well worth having.

The freelander gets maligned by people because the 1800 engine was badly put together (in 1.6, 1.4 and 1.1 form they're more reliable and the whole series are excellent engines, I put 70k on mine very happily) and also because they're not a "proper" land rover. However, they are about the best value and most practical LR vehicle around these days, everything else is either rusty (disco/RR), overpriced (anything that hasn't gone rusty yet), or unreliable (P38). They're also embarrassingly capable off-road as long as you remember it's not got the ground clearance.

Hello,

It's been a while since I've posted, because back last February I sold my Freelander (2005 Td4) as it was the only thing I had that was worth anything, and I needed to spend money on the endless pit that is my house. It was replaced by a 1.2 Corsa, which was replaced 2 months later by a Renaultsport Clio 172 (which scratched a bit of a performance itch in a juvenile kind of a way...). Both replacements were, to put it mildly, carp. The Freelander is a brilliant car that is maligned by those who don't 'get' them. Chosen carefully (see forum for advice...) they are very capable, honest, and practical vehicles.

The Clio got sold a few weeks ago, since when I've mostly made do with borrowing my wife's Focus estate. That's a TDCi, so it's quite nice. But unfortunately the Freelander itch is back, because I'm currently borrowing a 2001 Td4 and I want one all over again.

Soooo, I'm putting my (very limited) money where my mouth is, and I'm buying an S plate 2.0 diesel with 130000+ miles on it. Even I think I might be a bit mad, and I love the things... Still, it has a full service history, new VCU, brakes and tyres and is very cheap so it might be OK (all fingers, toes and everything else crossed).

The point I'm making is that it is a bit of a leap of faith, buying one of these things, even for the faithful such as me. But if you do it right, and do your homework first, you should end up happy. I say this as in the last 8 or 9 years my extended family has had 7 Freelanders between us (all diesel), and still have 3 now (though one is a Freelander 2, which is a different beast altogether) so I've been around a few, and they've all been reliable and done what they should, when they should. Apart from when my 2005 model wouldn't start in the snow last year, but that was the battery. Could have happened to anyone ;)

Get a good one and you'll love it... good luck!

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies, good and bad. Personally I don't like the look of them, but it was good to drive, having been in a cold, damp LR90 that is 25 year old. It's a practical choice, the other half won't be mud plugging, but she will be in a field with a trailer picking horse poo, collecting hay and other feeds, we have two staffy's which she runs with in competition, so again the rear window is ideal for the dogs which are not running and it has got to be better in poor weather than her 1.4 Corsa she sold a couple of years ago. Hopefully we have found a good one????

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Dad is also thinking of buying a Freelander - I've had a few discos and an RR a few years ago but I've no experience of freebies except I've heard all the horror stories / bad press they seem to get.

He's recently bought a caravan and wants somthing other than my trialer disco to tow it with - it's a toss up between a freebie and a X Type Jag - both of which can be had on a 54 plate for between four and five grand wit decent milage and history.

I dont want to put him off but I kind of fancy the Jag (even though it wont be mine I'm sure I can borrow it now again) and despite my love of all things green oval and the fact that my dad has had nothing but Rovers for forty years, I'm not sure I should encourage him to get one (FL'r).

He's 67 and handy with a spanner but he's not going to want to be out on the drive all the time.

Would you feel confident reccomending one?

Stu.

The time we've had the freelander, I have enjoyed driving it, we had a five inches of snow and it dealt with it no problem at all, starts 1st time and has so far (touches wood) been reliable. More so than my truck as that is at the doctors again with a lack of power :-(

So yes I would recommend one, the only thing I dont like about it is the styling, the one your looking at would be the one I would look at money allowing.

Paul

Thanks lads, I agree about the towing aspect definately, I just hope he uses it often enough to justify the purchase.

As regards the Jag, my research is showing they're not too bad, Mondeo derived engines and 55+ on a run.... The freebie cant touch that - for the amount of time he'll tow with it he'll get 15 or 20 more mpg every other day.

I think were going to go Freebie despite all that, he's never had a 4x4, my mum wants to "Sit up properly" and after being my navigator for the last couple of years, I think he's got the bug :)

Stu.

Hi Stu,

Reckon the Freelander has got to be a better bet than the X-type. With a decent 54(ish) plate the Freebie should be pretty reliable, and though I will admit I know nothing much about the Jag (other than some are 4x4), my mate had a recent diesel Mondeo estate and it was a lot of trouble, and eventually died, horribly expensively. I actually really like the look of the X-type, but why wouldn't you get a Subaru? Yes, the fuel economy won't be anywhere near as good, but the reputation and reliability of the Sube would get my vote for a 'normal' car. If, however, as you say, your Dad is after a 4x4, and your Mum wants to sit up properly, then with a Freebie you can go properly off road, tow 2 tons, look at Range Rover drivers eye-to-eye (nearly), and it has a character that really befits the 'green oval'. It would be my choice, even though I have a strong desire for a Subaru Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Sharpy , I have recently `joined ` this band of men/women and I find the input stimulating .

I bought a Freelander td4 3dr `s`7 yrs ago , it has cost me a battery and a brake calliper, probably because I called my local garage to fix one wintry morning ( I shall not forget ).

Re your query of the yellow gear stick mounted yellow button ,this as I am sure you know by now is the H.D.C ( Hill Decent Control ) this is applied when going down steep hills slowly ,it is engaged and you just steer ,the cars`brain`( traction control )takes over and you just steer in as straight a line as poss. The car will be braked as and when needed ,not by the driver but by the traction control ,when on the level the H.D.C can be disengsged and you carry on .

I have taken my Freelander on routes /tracks that I would not expect to take a J.C.B and the car performed impecably ,Old Coach Road , Cannon Chase and others ,much to the chagrin of `proper` land rover owners .

It is a lovely car ,it returns on a run 45 mpg ,the tyres are £40 ish ,the engine is a 2 litre chain driven B.M.W.Your wife will have fun and NEVER bet your ninety against the Freelander in a fair fight !!!.

coachman