Hydraulic struts for bonnet. What have you used.

Hi All,

I know this info appears but I did a search and couldn't find it again after seeing it a while back.

I have my spare mounted on the bonnet of my early 90 and could do with some help from struts to lift it up.

I know some forum members have fitted them from other vehicles and wondered what worked for you and do you have any tips about fitting etc.

Cheers

J2J :)

I used Scooby estate back door struts - two - and they are strong and may even lift with yer wheel but I don't have a bonnet mounted wheel so dont know.

Would use them but also use original lock to hold it in place.

That Ebay link seems good value since a single gas strut normally comes in at about £18 a piece! And that is just to hold open a rear window on a tractor cab.

I think the listing is for one strut. So its twice as much and a bit (mean me?) lol but they look strong though.

J

reading comprehension owns you

OK...its Sunday morning.

Hair of the dog needed.

But in my defence it did say in the listing title

"300tdi 200 td5 Defender bonnet gas oil lift rizer raiser stainless steel strut"

and strut is still the singular of struts

So perhaps grammar owns you ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got round to making the brackets and fitting the gas rams to my bonnet and they work a treat, loads of lifting power more than enough to lift the big fat spare on the bonnet and keep it aloft.

Used M8 rivnuts on the wing inner lip because trying to get a nut on the back of the strut fixing was a pita :unsure:.

Just got to paint the brackets but I can do this at the same time I re-do the chequer plate as even with etch the paints come off..

Oh well a two steps forward and one back ;)

J2J

post-13733-0-85065600-1334421371_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-99595400-1334421386_thumb.jpg

Have you reinforced the edges of the wings? my bonnet without spare has bent the side that the strut is bolted to (only one strut).

No not yet but I intend to when we have more consistent good weather :rolleyes:. I have got some 3mm thick box section aluminium and when I take the wing covers off (chequer plate but painted :ph34r: ) I am going to rivet the box section to the underside of the wing tops roughly following the line of the lip with some countersunk rivets and when the covers go back on you will not see the rivet heads.

Well that's the plan anyway :P

J2J

No not yet but I intend to when we have more consistent good weather :rolleyes:. I have got some 3mm thick box section aluminium and when I take the wing covers off (chequer plate but painted :ph34r: ) I am going to rivet the box section to the underside of the wing tops roughly following the line of the lip with some countersunk rivets and when the covers go back on you will not see the rivet heads.

Well that's the plan anyway :P

J2J

OK rethink needed! I will use 3mm or 4mm flat ally bar maybe angle for rigidity and follow the edge as far as I can. :mellow:

J2J

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to this thread, I did this mod on my 110 today. Sadly, my struts cost NZ$110 each rather than the GBP 12.00 or so you guys got them for but it's a blinking' great mod, thanks!

Here's my top end detail:

top-1.jpg

Bottom end, 15" in from the back of the wing:

bottom-1.jpg

The whole shebang done, lifts to the same height as the original stay:

struts-1.jpg

When the lid is closed, the struts force the bonnet to the front and take up any slack in the hinges. I had to move the striker plate (bonnet latch?) as far forward as it would go to allow it to mate.

Very happy with it.

Have to add that without the tyre on top, you would seriously risk facial injury when opening!

Ray.

when fitting gas struts take into a/c that its best to mount so that the strut reaches its null point when shut , this is the point of no lift , this is usually just before they bottom out when in closed position , so when you open , the strut starts to assist just after you begin movement. HTSH