Off-roading in Scotland

Hi,

First of all, I want to apologise for my English.

I live in Portugal and I'm planning to make a trip to Scotland. Me and another 7 friends.

All of us are Landrover fans so we want to drive Landrovers and we are planning to rent them in Sctoland. This is a possibility: http://www.4x4hirescotland.co.uk/tariff.html

As far as it can be possible, we would like to drive off-road in this country but I don't know if it's possible or if it's allowed by the authorities.

There are a lot of GPS tracks in wikiloc wich we can use but I'm thinking of a "round trip" to scotland during 10 days or so.

What are your advices?

What are the best place to visit?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Welcome

Scotland has different laws on rights of way to England and Wales. There are no byways in the same way that there are in the other countries. There are several off-road pay and play sites I believe, but informal off-road driving is not really done.

If you are driving from Portugal to Scotland then there are plenty of fabulous off-road routes in England and Wales on the way up though!

There are very few legal byways in Scotland, and the ones that do exist you need the Land Owners permission to drive.

If you just go off-road on what seems like a track, you could well be prosecuted by the law and would get in a lot of trouble. It's really not worth the risk.

If you want to go off-road on legal byways, might I suggest that you pop just over the border to Cumbria, we have loads of legal and excellent byways that you can drive, I have driven pretty much all of them and really don't mind being a guide if you need someone to show you around.

As for Scotland, I wouldn't risk it if I was you.

Ah, fair enough. Fly and drive probably makes more sense!

Yes, you cannot drive freely. The UK as a whole does not have the laid-back attitude to recreational off-road driving that other parts of the world enjoy. In many places there are miles of remote mountain tracks that you can drive freely, but this is not the case here. The public rights of way in England and Wales are just about the only example of it that we have, and even they are disappearing slowly but surely. A sad situation, but that is just the way it is in this country I am afraid :(

That said, don't think that you have to get your wheels dirty to enjoy a visit to the UK (Scotland or otherwise). Plenty to see and do without venturing off-tarmac.

Ah, fair enough. Fly and drive probably makes more sense!

Yes, you cannot drive freely. The UK as a whole does not have the laid-back attitude to recreational off-road driving that other parts of the world enjoy. In many places there are miles of remote mountain tracks that you can drive freely, but this is not the case here. The public rights of way in England and Wales are just about the only example of it that we have, and even they are disappearing slowly but surely. A sad situation, but that is just the way it is in this country I am afraid :(

That said, don't think that you have to get your wheels dirty to enjoy a visit to the UK (Scotland or otherwise). Plenty to see and do without venturing off-tarmac.

Thanks James.

One month ago we stayed 11 days in Morocco with absolute freedom with our Land Rovers

The whole group is now planning a trip to Scotland. The alternative is Iceland.

Scotland have stunning landscapes and we are hopping to join those views to our passion: LR.

Now and after reading your advices, it may seem wise to go to another country.

Regards.

Thanks James.

One month ago we stayed 11 days in Morocco with absolute freedom with our Land Rovers

The whole group is now planning a trip to Scotland. The alternative is Iceland.

Scotland have stunning landscapes and we are hopping to join those views to our passion: LR.

Now and after reading your advices, it may seem wise to go to another country.

Regards.

Don't let the lack of green lanes put you off scotland and make you not come, Scotland has some just stunning views which are perfectly acceptable by any road going vehicle.

Some of the roads are so remote, you will think you are off road, take the road out to Applecross, stunning single track road, amazing drive with views to die for, this can be said for many of the roads in Scotland, ok their not off Tarmac but that doesn't stop you driving them in a Land Rover!

And then if you want some off Tarmac green lanes on your trip pop over the border to Cumbria, it really isn't that far! Give me a call and I'll take you round some of the great green lanes we have in the Lake District. If we are lucky and as long as your driving a Land Rover sub 100inch chassis then we might be able to get a pass onto Gatesgarth.

Don't let the lack of green lanes put you off scotland and make you not come, Scotland has some just stunning views which are perfectly acceptable by any road going vehicle.

Some of the roads are so remote, you will think you are off road, take the road out to Applecross, stunning single track road, amazing drive with views to die for, this can be said for many of the roads in Scotland, ok their not off Tarmac but that doesn't stop you driving them in a Land Rover!

And then if you want some off Tarmac green lanes on your trip pop over the border to Cumbria, it really isn't that far! Give me a call and I'll take you round some of the great green lanes we have in the Lake District. If we are lucky and as long as your driving a Land Rover sub 100inch chassis then we might be able to get a pass onto Gatesgarth.

Hi Ed,

Great news.

We won't abandon the idea to travel to Scotland but we like to take the LR off-road.

The landscapes are stunning and we don't like to miss that.

Drive in a LR is a must...

The group are planning to rent Discovery's 3/4 or Defender 110. Both are long than the sub100 that you mention... But who knows we can pass on that onto Gatesgarth.

We'll keep in touch.

Regards

I'm glad now... :)