Is Britpart Really That Bad

mcc1979ian

Over the years i have used a lot of britpart stuff on the 90 and never ever had a problem with it (maybe iv been blessed) but everyone seems to slate their stuff about being rubbish, poor quality, carp.

Is it really that bad or is it just the name its got??

I mean after all if it was that bad nobody would use it and Britpart wouldnt be around.

It appears to be the main choice for many 4x4 retailers.

well, I've had some Britpart things that have lasted very well, but on the other hand, I've had lots of Britpart stuff thats wrong, doesn't fit, soft as toffee, delete as applicable. There's a massive difference in gaskets for example. I normally use LR Series these days, I get superb service from them. I ordered some genuine OEM gaskets for the fuel tank sender on the 88, and they accidentally sent me Britpart. They immediately sent me what i'd asked for FOC, but the difference in quality was amazing. The Britpart ones were paper thin, flimsy tatty badly made things - in fact i ordered two, and one of them was ripped off one of the holes. The genuine items that came, were the proper cork items, beautifully made!

Some people have adopted the following rule:

If it turns or seals, avoid Britpart.

My truck is a project, so I can’t really comment on the quality of various bits I’ve fitted as I’ve yet to test them in anger. But certainly the bulkhead outriggers I fitted were acceptable. Steel was the same thickness as the original, appeared to be the same alignment, welds were good (visual inspection only!!), and a generous coating of paint was present.

Frankly, the likes of LRDierect, LRSeries, Devon4x4 etc offer you a choice, and Bearmach/Allmakes have a better reputation for about the same money, so if you wished to avoid the Blueboxes it’s not that hard logistically!

Also, if a part is poor quality, use the warranty, don’t just chuck it in the skip and be surprised when the quality of parts doesn’t magically improve.

Just my £0.02

Matt

They do a lot of Ok stuff, pattern trim parts, door lockls etc, but get their reputation from poor quality seals/bearings/brake parts/pumps etc which are areas they shouldn't really be skimping in and causes the biggest problem/expense to rectify.

They are encouraged to do this by price led competition with other suppliers and the fact they sell a lot of it - mostly down I would say to the big suppliers shipping Britpart stuff out to you without your knowledge or consent. Can't imagine anyone specifies britpart parts out of choice.

I have found their electrical stuff OK and their CV joints are very good (especially for the price), but their seals, bearings and hydraulic components are utter carp. I view their brake components as dangerous.

I ordered new hinges ror my Defender 110 csw from my local main dealer and they supplied Britpart, i thought i would try them untill i found that the NEW hinges had more play in them than the ones i was replacing !!!!

I WILL NEVER BUY BRITPART !!!! And i am surprised that main dealers stock the rubbish !!!!!

Paul

Years ago I fitted new rear Britpart shock absorbers. The next weekend I did an RTV event....one snapped.

Recently a temperature sensor came in a Britpart box, although the electrical side works, it won't tighten up properly because the threaded portion runs out too soon so is useless.

I just try to avoid it. Usually there is another manufacture that is not that much more expensive, usually even only pence, that is just better.

had some flexi brake pipes from britpart that were the wrong thread! same part number as others but different. I think its a quality control issue.

I wouild avoid, as stated, bearings/bushes/gaskets/seals etc because the tolerances are just not there.

I have had a radiator fitted for over 4 years now and its been fine :)

G

If it turns or seals, avoid Britpart.

Actually, the quote is "If it turns, seals or is safety critical - use Genuine" - but the above is close.

I think we (collectively) are much of the problem. We accept poor quality parts without complaining often enough and prefer to buy cheap versions even though common sense would say, for the price they must be made from chewing gum.

Britpart and similar cater for a sector of the market and provide the balance of cost v quality that the customers are prepared to tolerate. I suspect that if everybody complained more, the quality and in particular, quality control would get better.

Dissing Britpart is a bit like 'shooting the messanger'. You've asked for a low end part (by inference from the low cost) and you have received one!

Many of their products are actually very good - you just have to pick & choose. That's where the above quote helps me decide!

Si

I would avoid, as stated, bearings/bushes/gaskets/seals etc because the tolerances are just not there.

G

I ordered a set of 'OEM' bushes from Paddocks, they came in a blue bag with a 'G' after their part number. I've fitted them for now, we'll see how they do...

Actually, the quote is "If it turns, seals or is safety critical - use Genuine" - but the above is close.

I think we (collectively) are much of the problem. We accept poor quality parts without complaining often enough and prefer to buy cheap versions even though common sense would say, for the price they must be made from chewing gum.

Si

They only problem with the expanded statement is that an argument can be made that just about any mechanical part of a vehicle could be considered safety critical. Where do you stop? Braking components, fine; ditto steering bits, but that then includes PAS components, which includes belts and pulleys...and so on.

But I definitely agree with the last statement! We have to, as a group, be fully paid up members of the awkward squad otherwise nowt will change..

britpart bulkhead corner repair panel, and the door didnt fit properly after that. ( i lined up the panel properly) holes are in the wrong place, also the metals too thin really for a door hinge.

briptart other door and that doesent fit. (well didnt its all been replaced with new non BP)

BP wheelbearings.. well ive had every one go wrong prematurely whereas timkens go strong

props are a safe bet because if you buy a BP prop its actually either GKN or GMD (names are actually still stamped on)

anything with surface hardening friom britpart is useless

The thing with that bearing is Sam is on stupidly big wheels which won't have helped. For what wheel bearings are priced at, you may as well replace them if there's a little bit of rust/dirt/play just to be on the safe side. Britpart bearings aren't bad if looked after, it's just a case of wanting to fit and forget rather than readjusting and regressing when supposed to...

I ordered new hinges ror my Defender 110 csw from my local main dealer and they supplied Britpart, i thought i would try them untill i found that the NEW hinges had more play in them than the ones i was replacing !!!!

I have been through this exact same experience many years ago. Not only did the hinge have more slop that the worn out one, the casting was so inaccurate that the hinge could not rotate through enough of an angle for the door to fully open!

The thing with that bearing is Sam is on stupidly big wheels which won't have helped. For what wheel bearings are priced at, you may as well replace them if there's a little bit of rust/dirt/play just to be on the safe side. Britpart bearings aren't bad if looked after, it's just a case of wanting to fit and forget rather than readjusting and regressing when supposed to...

Once I bought some BP bearings. they came complete with swarf in the wrapper, and not a hint of oil or rust protection.

TBH Timken wheel bearings are far from expensive, so I buy them every time now.

Once upon a time (20 odd years ago) BP did seem to have a better reputation. I think they had a process called Quality Control back then. Sadly today's cost cutting seems to have done away with this brilliant invention.

Stories of steering relays made from cheese on series LR's that bend when you bump a curb! That did it for me, never ever fit anything Britpart, not ever ever ever!!!

I'm flabbergasted that they allow such dangerous stuff out on the market - coporate liability laws as they are would maybe see the directors facing 10 years in the slammer if their products killed someone?

Julian.

I wonder what percentage of Britpart stuff is returned ?

If, as people seem to make out, it's nearly all unuseable, then how come they are a very successfull multi million pound business ?

I've experienced some poor quality Britpart stuff, but most of it is certainly acceptable for the price.

It seems it's often the buyer that's at fault, they expect top quality but only want to pay bargain prices.

If you pay £5 for a wheel bearing and fit it to an old series that does a couple of thousand miles a year, fine. Fit it to your 34" tyred challenge truck or do 20,000 a year fully loaded and you're asking for trouble.

I also suspect a fair few failures are due to poor fitting, that then gets blamed on the fact it was a Britpart used.

Seems to be the "in thing" to slag them off, but most of the stuff is nowhere near as bad as is made out.

There are also many people out there that simply woudn't be able to run a Land Rover if it were not for cheap parts, keeps all parts prices keen too.

If you want top quality, pay for it. Don't buy cheap and complain.