Drill bits from Triple x Trading Ltd at the LRO show..?

Smego

Did anyone else but a set of the drill bits from the Peterbough show from this guy?

Terry Hilder

Accounts Manager/Director Triple x Trading Ltd

Unit 104,91 Mayflower Street,Plymouth,Devon,PL1 1SB

Registered in England No. 5085397

Vat Number 947 9021 96

Email : triplextrading@gmx.com

I brought simular abnout 15 years ago (looked gold coloured from the ideal home ex. and they have been fantastic, brought this set after seeing him drill in to loads of things no probs but the first time I used them on a slow speed in ther pillar drill to drill a small hole in steel to put a split pin in the 4.5 and 5mm just melted away! In the process of sending them back on the advice of my local trading standards, so will update with the progress as I go.

Gary

199835_10152170176735154_983223495_n.jpg

Frankly the box etc makes them look like **** Quality junk, and seems as if his service matches them !

Not great is it ?

Maybe he trys to charge the Shipping back to him so peeps just give up ?

Under sales of Goods act he cannot do that - he MUST refund your shipping costs

Your contract with the customer

Under the Sale of Goods Act, when you sell something to a customer you have an agreement or contract with them.

A customer has legal rights if the goods they purchased do not conform to contract (are faulty). The Act says that to conform to contract goods should

• match their description
    by law everything that is said about the product must not be misleading - whether this is said by a sales assistant, or written on the packaging, in-store, on advertising materials or in a catalogue
  • be of satisfactory quality
    quality of goods includes
    - appearance and finish
    - freedom from minor defects (such as marks or holes)
    - safe to use
    - in good working order
    - durability
  • be fit for purpose
    if a customer says - or when it should be obvious to the retailer - that an item is wanted for a particular purpose , even if it is a purpose the item is not usually supplied for, and the retailer agrees the item is suitable, or does not say it is not fit for that purpose, then it has to be reasonably fit.

If you disagree with the customer about a particular purpose, you should make this clear, perhaps on the sales receipt, to protect yourself against future claims.

Your responsibilities for the goods you sell

You are responsible for the goods you sell and if a customer returns an item they purchased from you that is faulty (it does not conform to contract) because it

you (not the manufacturer or supplier) are legally obliged to resolve the matter with the customer at any time for up to six years from the date of purchase, or in Scotland for up to five years from the discovery of the problem.

Any refund, repair or replacement you arrange with your customer relating to faulty goods must not cause them too much inconvenience and you will have to pay for other costs, for example, collection or delivery.

From SOG Act, last para is the bit you wnat

Email him and confirm under SOG Act he is not refusing to also pay postage return costs, I do the "How would you like it sent to keep your additional costs down , and "shall I pop the reciept into the package when I post it for you" tends to get a response

If he argues then small claims court

Get him to email back, then you have him in breach of SOG act in writting

Nige

Ah! As they say - there's one born every day!

I once bought a set of these 'Miracle Snake Oil' bits from a Machining show. You then get home and discover that they are s***e!

I was impressed at the show with the chap drilling through files - which are fairly tough as well as hardened steel. As it turns out they are fairly good for this, but worthless for drilling soft mild steel, Aluminium etc.

They are just Masonary bits in a different box. Take a standard Masonary drill and it will drill through a file quite easily. Try it with a normal HSS bit and it will go blunt and burn out.

I'm sure he will claim they are not masonary bits - and they are hewn from the living rock by Elves in a far off land (China) then forged by trained Chipmunks before being coated in extreme, uber-snake oil!

I would wear the return cost and demand a refund. Just accept it as a lesson that if it looks too good to be true.....

Buy a set of cheap HSS drill bits and a bench grinder and teach yourself to sharpen them! There is a thread in the Tech Archive by some clever chap with amazing drawing skills that shows how. ;)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=16693

Si

To be fair:

1) They look carp

2) They're masonry bits

3) It does mention the £4.95 on the bit of paper

4) If it seems too good to be true...

Maybe if enough people complain Trading Standards will give him a slap on the wrist.

If you're looking for something to replace it, this is dangerously good value:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-170-piece-drill-bit-set-prod19847/

particular purpose , even if it is a purpose the item is not usually supplied for, and the retailer agrees the item is suitable, or does not say it is not fit for that purpose, then it has to be reasonably fit.

I don't like this clause!

To quote from an email last week:

"I've been trying to fit your Anti Roll Bar to my Daihatsu FourTrak and it does not fit. I will be returning it for a full refund. Your web site should say it will not fit FourTraks"

He quoted the "does not say it is not fit for that purpose" clause at me.

It seems that it's not enough to say what it is suitable for - it has to include everything it's not.

When it turned up, it looks like he's had a go at making it fit using a hammer! Most of the bits went in the scrap bin.

Si

Lol I saw these at a few shows I have been to recently so thought I would have a punt....

So far mixed results.... 2 bits the tips fell out on contact with steel.

The other drill bits I have given some right stick and so far so good.

I am just going to keep the naff ones in the box and take them to the next few car shows I go to.

Then when they have a large crowd make a song and dance about him exchanging my broken ones :)

Lol I saw these at a few shows I have been to recently so thought I would have a punt....

So far mixed results.... 2 bits the tips fell out on contact with steel.

The other drill bits I have given some right stick and so far so good.

I am just going to keep the naff ones in the box and take them to the next few car shows I go to.

Then when they have a large crowd make a song and dance about him exchanging my broken ones :)

Lol, he'll love that :) Top man! Let us know when you plan to do it and I'll bring the popcorn ;)

Careful, he might have Rodney with him... ;)

It's the carbide tips that'll do for you, cut though anything will carbide. Blooming difficult to get them to stick to another bit of metal though, hence your problem.

Confronting a salesman mid patter in front of a crowd sound like a good idea, but this guy has probably had it happen before and it can get nasty. I saw a fight break out over a dodgy cow once in a similar situation... Not good. (Norwich cattle market, 1988, one of the most interesting things in my childhood, nearly caused a riot)

Cheers,

Mike

He quoted the "does not say it is not fit for that purpose" clause at me.

Actually, I'd get in touch with trading standards. They are there for the retailer to.

This doesn't sound like it's bring taken in the right context by the guy, but i can't tell you why not... Sorry, this is getting of topic...

I had a look at these drills as well but thought they looked like just sharpened masonary drills.

Friend of mine did exactly that a while ago, I was having trouble drilling though a weld and blunting drills, he sharpened up an old masonary drill I had and just used that, cheaper than carbide drill and worked well for not a lot of money.

As mentioned getting carbide to attach to anything else is not easy, our drills at work have PDC cutters bonded to a base then brazed in place, still have to be carefull to keep them cool and control the weight even then we lose cutters some times. Mind you the drill bits can cost over £150,000 and the weigh last time was 18 tonnes!.

you referring to 18 tonne WOB ? You ever seen a string dropped / planted @ 17,000ft, hell it moves quick....and then the reverse spin when picked up afterwards is impressive ! [/back on topic]

you referring to 18 tonne WOB ? You ever seen a string dropped / planted @ 17,000ft, hell it moves quick....and then the reverse spin when picked up afterwards is impressive ! [/back on topic]

Yep,

Not seen a string dropped quite that distance, seen one dropped on the floor but the shear rams where shut so it stopped there, bit was totalled and they replaced all the MWD stuff just in case, got a good ROV footage of a 20" casing string being dropped though which is entertaining.

Getting of topic a bit here though.

That drill set is good money, I paid nearly that for a set of HSS 1 - 13 in 0.5 steps. That has multiples of each... and they're a pretty colour :blink:

Simon, I think the clause must be there to protect the dumb, like the ones that say 'don't dry your cat in the microwave' or 'the cruise control fitted to your camper doesn't mean you can leave the seat to make a cup of tea'. Personally I think the clause is interfearing with natural selection and should be removed on the grounds of medeling with nature and slowing the natural progression of the species.