Pillar drill

I'm looking to buy a small bench mounted pillar drill, I have a budget of around £100 - £150. I was going to buy new (Clarke,SIP, draper, Sealy or whatever) but having done a search on here the general feeling is that a 'good old one' would be a better bet.

So what names should I be looking for? I've heard of Meddings but there must be lots of others. Needs to be single phase.

Cheers

Chris

Look for one with back gears, as well as mutiple belt selected speeds. They normally go to ultra low speeds and have loooads of torque which makes them suitable for bits well over 25mm dia, or even hole saws!

We have a Meddings with back gears, I think the lowest speed is around 40 RPM

The first Pillar Drill I bought was Clarke. It was the best they did at the time. Multi speed, back geared & 16mm chuck. It took two months to completely knacker itself by twisting the telescopic drive shaft to the chuck. It made the chuck impossible to remove which made the shaft impossible to remove! It went in the skip!

I replaced it with an old Meddings which was 1/4 the price and 15 years on its every bit as lovely as it was on the first day!

Si

What are 'back gears'

Cheaper/smaller pillar drills have the drive from motor to chuck transmitted via V-belts.

In slow speed high torque situations (i.e a big drill bit) the belts can slip. To help prevent this some drills will have a reduction gear box connected to the chuck spindle (will normally have a couple of speeds selectable from the gearbox). The majority of the speed change is still done by the belts that drive the input to the reduction gearbox however the gearbox helps to prevent the belt slip.

Pillar drills are also available with no belts at all and completely gear driven although the ones I have seen are massive and very capable of destroying drill bits when they snatch.