Stonefield P3000 4x4 Utility Truck

Timpo

Hi Folks.

Does anybody have any info on the Stonefield P3000 4x4 Utility Truck?

There was also a P5000 variant which was a 6x4 using a lazy axle at the rear.

Any pictures, drawings, parts lists, ect will be gratefully recieved.

If you know of any 'Stonefield Gurus' a cotact address or number would be of great use.

Thanks.

Timpo

This might help, just Google 'Stonefield Vehicles' the below info from this link http://www.4wdonline.com/Stonefield/Stonefield.html

Stonefield

http://www.4wdonline.com/Stonefield/PiCs37/Stnf4x4.jpg

Stonefield: a 4x4 that got away. Stonefield Vehicles of Cumnock, Ayrshire, Scotland began in 1974. The aim was to produce a new off-road vehicle with load capacities in the 1.5 to 3 ton range, with the military very much in mind, and topping the 1-ton LandRover 101.

Notable design features were the forward control (cab-over) design, space-frame chassis for rigidity, full-time four wheel drive with a centre differential with automatic lock, and the use of automatic gearboxes as standard.

The choice of engines was between the Ford V6 petrol engine (101), as fitted to cars such as the Ford Granada, driving a Ford C3 3-speed automatic gearbox, and a Chrysler 318-1 V8 (110) driving an A727 3-speed automatic gearbox.

http://www.4wdonline.com/Stonefield/PiCs37/Stnf6x4.jpg

The Stonefield 6x4, with a lazy axle, had increased load carrying capacity for applications such as fire tenders.

The company went on to be called Stonefield Holdings and was later taken over by Gomde, and then closed in the early 1990s. Nick Noyce has started a Stonefield Register to preserve a notable vehicle, himself owning a P5000 6x4 and a P3000 4x4.

Manufacturer's data:

4x4 6x4

loa 4940mm 5445mm

width 1900mm 1900mm

height 2400mm 2366mm

wheelbase 2800mm 2575mm+950mm=3525mm

track 1640mm 1640mm

turning radius (wall) 7300mm 8150mm

weight (empty) 2200kg+/- 2300kg+/-

payload 1500kg 2900kg

engine: P3000: Ford 2994cc V6, 101 or P5000: Chrysler 5217cc V8 110kw

gearbox: P3000: Ford 3-speed automatic or P5000: Chrysler 3-speed automatic

transfer case 2-speed full-time 4WD, centre differential with automatic lock, (silent-) Morse-chain drive

suspension live axles, leaf springs

tyres 9.00x16 7.50x16

rivals: LandRover 101, Reynold Boughton RB44, Steyr Pinzgauer, Volvo 303

- 4wd.sofcom.com/Stonefield/Stonefield.html

Research: Nick Noyce [10/2000], The Stonefield Register

Go to the Stonefield 4X4 and vehicle pages

Edited by western

There's a Stonefield parked 100m from where i type this right now. Belongs to a neighbour whose a real Stonefield buff. He's away at the moment, but I can supply a contact when he returns.

If you're thinking of buying, be careful. Very little documentation and info exists on Stonefields and spare-parts locating will turn into a labour of love. My neighbour spend 6-months tracking down the correct brake cylinders for his truck. A Stonefield is essentially a bitsa made around a box section space frame and uses circa 70's parts from numerous truck and car sources. Although many of the parts are regualr off-the-shelf stuff, that was stuff that was on shelves 20-30 years ago!

Axles are German made ‘Hurth’ leaf-sprung units and feature ‘No-Slip’ diffs in both axles. Stonefield designed their own permanent 4wd ‘Transposer’ transfer box. This complex Ferguson made Transposer box also featured an automatic centre diff-lock. Spares for both the axles and transfer box are virtually impossible to get hold of these days.

Kev

Thanks folks, the more info and avenues to try the better.

Kev, if you can get me contact info of the Stonefield near to your location, that will be of great help.

Will, where from, what body type, engine, etc, has your mate acquired? Any pics, inside, outside, front, back, etc?

This is where these forums pay dividends, ain't the interweb brilliant?....

Cheers.

Timpo.

• 1 year later...

I was chief designer for Stonefield from 1989 to 1991 until just before it went into receivership. I am looking for information on the early history of the vehicle in the 70's for a book ie Stonefiled laundry where the design was done (?), the prototype build and testing. I need to find some of the engineers and designers involved. Also anybody at Jensen who worked on the cab design. A director at IAD in Worthing and an engineer at Ford both worked on the cab design at Jensen but cannot rember their names. Also anybody else who was involved in the special body versions - Armoured vehicles, ambulances, utility company vehicles and fire engines etc. Can anybody help? tel 01634 682596

I'm sure there was one for sale at the last Old Sod Sort-out, half-way between the toilets and X-Eng stand? Sitting on a trailer, or it was something very similar.

Yes, I saw it too.

A 6x4 camper turned up in the day visitors car park at the Billing show 3 or 4 years ago.

The Avon and Somerset Police had one in the 1980's or 1990's based at Bath and attached to their Underwater Search Team.

Very rare beasts!

Bob.

The Avon and Somerset Police had one in the 1980's or 1990's based at Bath and attached to their Underwater Search Team.

Yak, the actual vehicle was at the Yesteryear Rally at Malpas last September. I sent the owner some pictures of the vehicle when in service. It is now a camper painted in military colours. Nice job too.

T.

I'm sure there was one for sale at the last Old Sod Sort-out, half-way between the toilets and X-Eng stand? Sitting on a trailer, or it was something very similar.

There certainly was; it was a GMC 6.2 V8 diesel automatic, apparently in excellent shape, and they wanted £3k for it.

I hadn't seen one for years, so I took pictures:

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

hi people, i,ve got a stonefield p3000 4x4 parked in the drive down in sunny north devon, its got a big box body on it which is partially converted to camper

me and my mate are going to glastonbury in it if i can get it legal by then!

here a pic not quite sure if its attached right or not.

rich

My neighbour has an ex-military evaluation model with Cummins diesel engine. When he contacted Cummins for info on the engine, they told him the engine number was still showing as Cummins stock!

The regular engine options were the Ford 3.0 Essex V6 or the Chrysler 318 small block V8 of 5.2 litres. A Ford 3-speed automatic gearbox was the transmission of choice for the Ford engine while the more powerful V8 got the Chrysler A727 ‘Torqueflite’ 3-speed auto. The same as that found in earlt RR autos. Many of the box body models were originally used by the BBC as Outside Broadcast units.

To quote my neighbour: "They went to all that care and attention to make the 4wd system so good and then ruined it by making other bits of it so spectacularly bad!"

Presumably the three going for spares in the above post are the same three my neighbour told me have been around for sale for an age.

• 5 months later...

hi all weve now purchased another 2 stonefields in a fit of madness! weve got a lhd p3000 4x4 camara surviellance vehicle and a p5000 6x4 open pickup. the 4x4 is in quite good nick and the 6x4 is worse but will a nice project mabye. theres a stonefield forum now at www.takeforum.com/stonefield which is useful for anyone with any interest in these vehicles.

hi all weve now purchased another 2 stonefields in a fit of madness! weve got a lhd p3000 4x4 camara surviellance vehicle and a p5000 6x4 open pickup. the 4x4 is in quite good nick and the 6x4 is worse but will a nice project mabye. theres a stonefield forum now at www.takeforum.com/stonefield which is useful for anyone with any interest in these vehicles.

The two vehicles you have, is the camera truck blue and white, and the 6x4 is yellow and it has the dummy axle missing?

I heard of a couple of trucks for sale in Cheshire/Shropshire and I thought you may of purchased them.

I knew of one other truck on Anglesey.

Theres obviously too much money in this wiring lark Rich ;) Thats quite a collection you have now with the Little Green Beauty, the scuffler and the stonefields! Are you Planning a Stonefield trip to Bulgaria?

Will :)

• 6 years later...