110 rear suspension topping out question

Before you say it, I've done various searches on this problem with little success.

Going over the numerous potholes on what the local council likes to call roads, I get bit of knocking, mostly from the drivers side rear.

After checking all the obvious bits- trailing arm bushes, A arm joint, shock bushes etc. I pulled the shock of its top mount yesterday to see if the shock was U/S but it still felt like it was working smoothly.

However on a flat level drive with the vehicle nearly empty, there was only about 1" (25mm) of travel left in the shock.

My question - Is this normal for an ex military 110, as it appears to be in original condition with standard springs etc.

I think a longer shock and raised mount might do the trick. keeping the ride height and possibly increasing articulation, or the other option of softer springs.

I do intend to fit it out for camping, but I buy in to the less is more style, so I won't be filling it with mdf, water tanks pumps etc etc. so it will not be carrying a tonne of gear.

cheers

Just a quikki

I have a 110 Utility for my work and running 2 1/2 ton, I changed the springs to Standard Heavy duty (no lift) and put new shock on it and it is perfect, I have also seen some Utility defenders with a double spring set up working on the powerlines, so no reason why yours should bottom out unless springs have gone weak, and as an ex MOD vehicle you know its had a a rough life.

Just my pennys worth.

Regards

Richard

A couple of years ago I fitted Britpart hd rear springs with a lift, and my std shocks were topping out, so I fitted some top shock mount 'droppers', then later I swapped the springs for some gen. wolf rear springs, and took off the shock droppers, and it has never topped out. I believe the wolf springs are rated at 420lb. What colour stripes do you have on the springs.? do you run it with a mostly empty-1/4 tank of fuel? are you sure its not the exhaust hitting the axle, where it loops over, sometimes they can be very close. Are the shocks buggered, and bouncing back

• 1 month later...

Well to finish off this thread, it was the shocks that were f*****d, fitted some Koni Heavy tracks and its stopped knocking, and the ride is much much better.

p.s paddocks are doing a good deal on the Koni's at the moment.