Ajustable Headligts 110 TD5

Living in the middle of nowhere without any street lighting just country lanes I need good headlights. I have now put new ones on and they are Brilliant, that’s the point, as I have adjusted them correctly there is a down side. I use the 110 Utility for a work vehicle carrying spares and parts for work some of the parts may weigh 50 or 60 kg and I might have quite a lot in the back one day and then nothing the next. Without setting my headlights with a screwdriver every morning, is there a mod that can be done to fit adjustable headlights from another vehicle so I can adjust from inside the cab.

Any help welcome

Regards

Richard

2000my and later Defenders came with headlight beam-levellers {and a 4-position knob on the dash} as standard - so you should be able to source all the necessary twiddlybits as original-equipment.

Might not be worth replacing the front-of-vehicle cableform though - just unthreading and re-threading that would be an hour's nightmare, even before you look at the price for the wiring-harness and then hide in a corner whimpering for the Community Psychiatric Nurse. Better to spend half an hour with some 7-core trailer-cable and a professional-grade crimp-tool.

I fitted these to the ibex the td5 wiring diagrams cover them, not use in anger yet but they definitely work. From memory you need to run an additional 4 cores to each light unit.

Best to take off vehicle yourself in order to get the connectors and boots. Not seen the type of connector elsewhere when sourcing bits for the truck.

Rob

Wiring is quite straight-forward, it's all in the RAVE wiring diagrams.

I have the 6-way connectors and terminals for the levelling switch -

60706891.jpg

Or, you could just use 6.3mm Lucar terminals.

You don't need complete new wing harnesses - Land Rover make a 'Link Harness' for the levelling motors, this has the levelling motor connector and boot at one end, and a 3-way male Econoseal connector at the other end.

The part number for this link harness is – AMR5833

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/107451/0/wiring_link___headlamp_adj_motor

AMR5833.jpeg

If you want just the levelling motor connectors, they're available through VW/Audi (VAG) parts, consisting of a 3-way connector, protective cover, and 3 x 2.8mm female terminals.

Their VAG part numbers are -

Connector housing - 311 906 231B

311906231B.jpg

Protective cover - 281 919 141A

Artccc_281919141a.jpg

Terminals - 000 979 105 or 000 979 106 – the terminals are pre-crimped to 1.0mm2 cables (what VAG call "Repair Wires")

000979105.jpg . 000979106_tn.jpg

I couldn't find a VAG part number for uncrimped terminals; but, the dealer should be able to look them up.

Thanks all, Hi Western

I have along with the light bulb plug a white flat 3 or 4 spade connector floating around loose along with the headlight wires, would this be for a light ajuster or is it something else that was on a upgraded model.

Cheers

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, now I have all the parts and just need to find the time to fit them! However I just thought it might be an idea to upgrade the headlights at the same time!

Which halogen lamps are compatible with the adjusters?

Thanks.