300 Tdi With No Power At The Top End

I've had an on-going saga with the 90 for a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

It's been in storage since January (no problems when it went into the shed) until I dragged it out a couple of weeks ago. It all seems to drive ok, but has no oomph high up in the rev range. It will accelerate up to 60 in 5th but that is flat out and this speed promptly falls going up the slightest incline, it's not dissimilar to driving a 2.5 na. I had my doubts about the turbo because it had put a lot of oil into the intercooler and that was cleaned out 6 months (<2500 miles) ago. After that short distance there was enough oil in the I/C that it would drip out when inverted.

The vehicle then got a lot worse over the course of 4 or 5 miles and wouldn't pull past 30mph, stuttering as it went so I pulled the engine apart, replaced the lift pump with a new Delphi unit, borrowed/fitted a secondhand turbo from a mate and given the engine a full service. It starts/runs fine with no stuttering which makes me think that the lift pump was suspect but it still struggles to reach 60mph and slows down on hills.

There is a nice flow of fuel from the nut on top of the filter housing so there shouldn't be a problem with air in the system but I'm worried that the secondhand turbo may also be a dud?

Could anyone advise on how to re-check the turbo or if there is something that I have missed?

Many thanks in advance,

Harry

Wastegate stuck open ? Mouse nest in the air filter ?

Dont laugh.............years ago myself and my uncle tried for hours to sort out the lack of power on an old Austin he had. Didnt look at the air filter because he had only changed it the week before. Took the assembly off but didnt look inside it ! Eventually, when we took it apart, it had sucked a whole plastic carrier bag into the housing..........................sorted

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do I check if it is stuck open?

Before i fitted it, i removed the circlip from the actuator rod and wriggled the arm a bit but it needed a pair of pliers and was pretty stiff.

Definitely no mouse nest, all the filter housing/intake pipes are clean as a whistle since removing the gallons of oil that had built up in the IC pipes...if only it was that simple to fix though!

Many thanks,

Harry

Ah it sounds like that is the problem then, I'll have a look tonight though.

All of the air hoses are new in the last year, and the intercooler is in good condition so I don't think it would be that.

Is there any chance that the injection pump could be gummed up if the turbo turns out to be ok?

Thanks for your help :i-m_so_happy:

Harry

I wonder if you have the same issue I had last year on my 200, see thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=85023&hl=

Part of the boost compensator mechanism (small pin) had seized so my fuelling was all to pot... try pop the top off the boost diaphragm, pull the diaphragm out and see if it looks in a reasonable fettle - also check that the wee pin that acts onto the cone is free... mine wasn't...

Thank you for the replies guys!

I took it down to a garage last night and asked a grown-up to give a second opinion. He wasn't worried about the stiffness of the actuator arm when it was wiggled from underneath so we then set about pressure testing the turbo. He connected a pressure gun onto the back of the turbo where the turbo-FIP pipe would usually connect to. The wastegate would not open with this however.

Would that point to a partially seized wastegate/leaking actuator? We are going to test my original turbo tonight, it seems strange that both turbos have not fixed the problem, although it's worth bearing in mind that the original wasn't great and the borrowed one was of 'unknown condition'.

Mav, coincidentally I had seen a thread on another forum that mentioned something similar to your issue, that was going to be my next port of call once we can test the second turbo tonight. If it is the same issue, is there any reason why i cant clean up the cone with wire wool and some oil rather than swapping it?

Thanks all! Harry

The cone wasn't the issue with mine, but the wee pin that locates onto the cone, that seized up... (Item 4 on that drawing in my link) the pin should be free floating but as you can see from the scoring on the cone it was very stiff and actually started to cut a groove on the cone.

Sorry Maverik, I didn't read what I had typed before hitting post :blush:

Good news, the 90 seems to be sorted now. I swapped the small rubber vacuum pipe that goes to the waste-gate but the old one looked to be in mint condition. The old spring clips didn't feel very strong so it is now held on with jubilee clips instead. The actuator was quite stiff so I removed the pipe that runs round to the FIP and connected an airline on, opening and closing the actuator for 5 minutes. I then blew air the other way, towards the FIP pump and I could hear the diaphragm moving without any leaks. Took it for a spin last night and all seems hunky-dory.

I'm going to pull the injection pump apart tonight anyway, more just to have a look inside and check everything looks ok.. A boost gauge should arrive next week so that will tell whether the turbo is still in good nick.

Thanks everyone for your help :i-m_so_happy:

Harry