Solar panel charge/regulator & IBS battery monitor unit query

I have an IBS battery monitor setup on the two batteries in my 110. It works very well. I am intending fitting a solar panel and the 'normal' way to do this as far as I can see is via a dual battery charge controller of which there are various types.

However the IBS unit has a wiring diagram on its website here which shows the use of a single battery charge controller connected to the aux battery, and my assumption is that in that setup the IBS unit monitors charge on the aux battery and then switches charge to the main battery.

I've queried this directly with IBS directly and got the following response, which kind-of confirms that (apart from the last sentence):

"you need with the panel and a solar regulator what is charging into Aux battery. If enough charge is available it also links in the Starter battery.
IBS is not regulating any charge."

So (being now slightly confused), do I just use a single battery charge controller and wire it in as in the IBS diagram, or forget about the presence of the IBS and wire up both batteries via a dual battery charge controller?

Any obvious pitfalls with either method? (I am no electrical wizard).

The IBS is a split charge which manages the connection between two batteries. Nothing more.

If you want a solar charger - connect it via a solar charge manager to one battery. The IBS will charge the main battery when the aux battery voltage is high enough.

Two completely separate systems.

Si