Land rover 90 2.5N/A Diesel strange behaviour during driving.

Hi Guys!

I bought a 1984 2,5N/A Diesel "90" some weeks ago. Already fixed a lot or rust and changed timing belt and all filters.

But since I changed the fuel filter and bleeded the system which took a while I am noticing a strange behavoir.

During high way speed suddenly the car starts to accelerate a little until slowing down again. This morning during taking a curve it also almost felt like the engine would die but it didnt. Another funny thing is that when I have been driving on higher speeds and I get to a red light the idle is extremly high in neutral. I can force it down by braking and forcing the engine almost to die with clutch up and then it gerts calmer. Or if i wait the idle also seems to get better after a while.

Any ideas? I just bleeded the system again by having the engine running and opening the fuel filter top bolt and sure some minor air bubbles did occur but not many.

Would apreciate any feed back.

I am living in Sweden and this is my first diesel. I love it but I am a newby when it comes to these.

Thanks!

/Martin

Throttle spring os good and it returns to its origin very easyily. Cable is also in good condition.

THis morning to work it was worst then ever. All the time accelerate for 1sec and back and then up and back. Also I noticed the problem with engine stalling is when I make a right turn in higher speed.Not left.

The speed I am noticing the problems in is about 80-100km/h.

It almost feel like there is still air in the system which is causing the problems thinking about the right turn problem. Not sure if this would cause my acc. problems.......

I mean a air leak which still makes the engine working quite good should leave some diesel leakage, right?

The Land rover starts nice in the morning. Although the problem seems to be appearing first after some minutes driving.

How to find leakages?

I bleeded the system on the filter, acc. pump and nozzles.

What about the first pump below the filter? I used that a LOT when trying to bleed the system first time. Could that be bad causing this?

Thanks!

/Martin

hi, I had a similar problems, turned out my fuel filter wasn't seated properly after renewing, dd

OK, thanks. I was probably stupid but I bought a "cheap" one from Britpart. What I found out was that the top seal was very thin and I could not put it up in the cup(Filterholder) It fell out then. I had to rest it on the filter head which also did not have a groove for it so it waas easy for the seal to move out of positioing. Seems there is very little contact between filter and seal. I also noticed when locking the filter I didnt feel any real stop and if I screw to hard air came in(Leaking).

This could really be the problem.....

Any comments to the seal?

Thanks. Will take it down later today and see if I see something strange!

/Martin

Have I solved the problem?

I dont know yet. In sweden you are not allowed to drink and drive ;) so I have to wait until tomorrow morning!

I removed the filter again!

Looked at it....

Correct side up : Check!

Seal down correct: Check!

Upper seal fits on filter: Check!

Look up in the upper filter housing, did I remove the old upper seal: NOT CHECK!!!!

Cr¤P; I never removed the old upper seal. hehe

Thats why I couldent get the new to fit up there.......

Soooooo removed and the new is in there. Suddenly I can fasten the filter as I would have liked....

Bleeded the system and it starts. (Yes you are allowed to start the engine even with some alcohol in your body as long

as the police doesent come by...

Thanks I hope this was the problem.

Rookie mistake? hmmm yes. but I am not a rookie...I promise ;)

John; BP; not more; Check!

/Martin

• Like 1

Noooooooo......

Minor improvement noticed during drive to work this morning. WHAT HAS HAPPEND!

- Driving in 5th at about 55 miles/hour (Yes, I googled the conversion :) ) suddenly its like something under the hood lift up the throttle and the car accelerates a little....to go back again..........and up again.

- Right hand curve at around 50m/h; The Landy looses power; A LOT!

- Coming to a halt at e.g red light the idle speed is WAY UP. Its almost embarrasing to the other cars next to me; as if I tend to race them ;)

I am still hoping for air in my system.......

Any new thoughts.

Yes; I will buy a new filter also, but I have to be honest; Its like your companies tech support when you call and say you have problem with something on your computer. it doesent matter what the problem is; the initial solution is always; -Have you restarted your computer?????? NOOOOOOOOOOO I HAVE NOT. (I know that it wont solve the problem; but can you tell them that. They are suppose to be the experts..........

So I really have a hard time believing the filter could do this. I mean BP cant be that bad. But anyway; I will buy a better quality filter!

/Martin

Martin, BP has a pretty bad reputation In the UK and to be honest most people(ok there will be some who disagree) when they buy BP once they tend not to buy it again as some not all of they're parts they supply are utter carp to say the least, Have a search on the forum here or google it

John

Hugh....after work driving my kids to the stable. On the way back up for a steep hill, the Landy just cut out. Rolled back down and had to crank it for a minute before it started up again. Home and bleeded the system again. Air from the filter and some from the injector pump. Now did I not do it good enough yesterday or what has happend.

I know, buy a new good filter, I will but can that really be the cause right now.......

One question. I never get any bubbles from the top screw from thge fiterhousing. It always runs along the side of the filter coming out of the top of the filter. Could that be that I dont get rid of the air on the top housing?

When I took down the filter yesterday there was a small seal on the top screw outside the filterhousing. It was bad so I put another seal/o-ring there. Should that be there? for me its strange since if I losen the fiter so much that I get fuel up there, the filter will be so lose so that it poors out of the top of the filter. Not housing. Comments?

BTW: Already had another RB vodka so I cant test my newly bleeded system. Tomorrow.....

Hugh....after work driving my kids to the stable. On the way back up for a steep hill, the Landy just cut out. Rolled back down and had to crank it for a minute before it started up again. Home and bleeded the system again. Air from the filter and some from the injector pump. Now did I not do it good enough yesterday or what has happend.

I know, buy a new good filter, I will but can that really be the cause right now.......

One question. I never get any bubbles from the top screw from thge fiterhousing. It always runs along the side of the filter coming out of the top of the filter. Could that be that I dont get rid of the air on the top housing?

When I took down the filter yesterday there was a small seal on the top screw outside the filterhousing. It was bad so I put another seal/o-ring there. Should that be there? for me its strange since if I losen the fiter so much that I get fuel up there, the filter will be so lose so that it poors out of the top of the filter. Not housing. Comments?

BTW: Already had another RB vodka so I cant test my newly bleeded system. Tomorrow.....

Puh again!

What if Martin could read the Haynes manual properly?

Looking at the right picture; NO I do not have a 300 TDI engine. I should NOT bleed the filter from the screw the holds up the filter.

I should bleed it from the screw that is on the feedback line! IDIOT!

OK, blame it on the vodka!

So I extracted some additional air from the system. Lets see tomorrow!

I'll let you know tomorrow!

/Martin

OMG

I think I will start crying. Barely made home from work.

Fuel injection pump totally empty.

When I try to bleed the filter (WHich I know WHERE to do) I get the following:

Open screw, trigger pump....air bubbles.....Fuel...fuel and when you think now I am good, air bubbles again. Lot of small ones....fuel....fuel...and again when you think your are good, air bubbles again.

I guess I have a leak some where. But tell me, if I would have a leak in a pipe/connection ,I should notice this. I mean fuel will drop out of there. or?

So it leaves me with two things.

1. I have a leak in the pipe INSIDE my tank, but on the upper side.

2. My fuel lift pump is bad/sucks air.

Can I dissamble the pump and see anythinig?

Please note one thing. I live in Sweden. Spares are bought online from UK and takes 4-5 days. I dont mind that but I reallyt would like to know what is wrong before I order. NOT becuase the cost, becuase of the time it takes to get the parts.

Please help.....

Martin, I still think that your filter is'nt sitting properly onto the housing, Seeing as the only thing you have changed before this situation started was the fuel filter-have you missed anything else that you either replaced or fiddled with before it started to do what it does?

Are all of your connections i.e.: banjo bolts tight on the injectors,Fuel injection pump, fuel filter housing,leak off pipes and finally the fuel lift pump? and also check if any of the copper washers are missing from the leak off pipes from the injectors.

John.

P.S. leave the RB and vodka alone for the night you might be able to solve it for work in the morning lol :hysterical:

John, thank I appreciate your help. I am lost!

(Yes I leave the RB vodka for now incase of a required test drive!)

I have done a lot but not with the actual fuel. Amongst other I have changed the timing belt. But the Landy starts and runs fine when it does run!

But I did something stupid now. I still had the old filter and put that back. But man.....I bleeded every thing and then started it up.

Ran fine. Then stopped it and then tried to bleed the filter again. AND I COULD, air inside. A lot it seems. Even the injector pump had air.

I must be stupid.

I have not touched any pipes or connections. I did open the injection pipe nuts to bleed some air out there, but they feel tight and fine.

Now I took it for a test drive again. The cutting of has almost dissapear but I got my self a cruise control instead. MAJOR RPM without throttle action. Drove back and I now see some diesel below the lift pump. Not sure what it is. Could be that there is some kind of an escape channel. I have manually activated it a LOT. I will take it down now for an inspections.

John everything seems to be tight. I have checked. I even openend the tank took out the fuel measureing unit. Looks ok.

If I dont find something on the lift pump I will take all the pipes down for inspections and then retighten. Also check the fuel filter.

I am puzzled!

NOW its time for a RB vodka.

I will keep you posted!

OK, got some news!

removed lift pump. Something inside was loose. It was rattling.

Opened´it up. One of the backvalves had fallen out from their seats. Means that all fuel I pumped in, probably went pooring down again+the valve has also cause a damage in the membran. Probably have a leak their. CR%P.

I new one takes almost a week to get. Will quicly see if any scrap yard has one but wouldent think so!

So for now :) that we the problem. Until the next test drive.

Keep you posted!

P.S

After first filter change a newer bleeded the system. Maybe the lift pump got damaged then!?

What about this. Can I temporary fit an electrial pump? Is there a loop in the system. I guess yes.....

I also read some where here that new lift pumps have the connections on the top. I stil have mine on the side of the pump. Do I really need new connectors/lines???

Thanks

Ok, I bought an electrical pump and fitted it temporary. It seems to be working. Not been driving so far yet but no surprises so far.

But for me this is a temporary solution.

I buy my Landy stuff at "Rimmerbros". Is this OK? Quite expensive shipping to Sweden. I pay about 20 pund.

So tomorrow I will continue with my other problem here at the forum. My wining. Make a youtube video of the sounds.

Thanks so far!

/Martin

I used these a lot when I rebuilt my 90.........

http://www.lrdirect.com

Paul

Thanks Paul. Looks promising.

Shipping seems cheaper. I will check out the part numbers I need and give it a try. Most important for me is the delivery time.

I will do some serious surgery on the Landy during the summer so I have also some bulk parts which I will need.

Thanks!

Yes I noticed. Takes a while to find the correct part number, but you get a wide selection of choises.

I have order a couple of things now. Shipping cost ended up similar to my initial UK supplier.

Lets see what the delivery time will be. May 1 will of course be a holiday. So at least it should arrive on Friday.