Increadible wining when driving at a certain speed LR90 1984

I have an incredable wining(not the right word. Its more like a hauling) from my "gearbox" but only at a certain speed independent of gear.

I am not familiare with miles so I hope you are more familiare with km.

Its between 40 and 50 km/h and it sounds like a very bad clutch release bearing. Its awful.

But it doesent matter if I drive in 3,4,5 gear and only between 40-50.

Otherwise the gearbox seems ok. Sure sime small wining in 5th above 80, but what happens at 40-50 is really loud.

So when I am running in 4th at 40 it starts and then after 50 it stops again, to sound like normal.

Any ideas?

I know this is a very wage description but I really dont know what more to write!

BR

Martin from Sweden (again)

Was going to suggest the same as the farmer :lol:

Well, my wife actually like bigger 4x4 cars/trucks so she doesent wine so much. But if they dont work or are unpredictable....then there is a lot of wining, but thats not in the car....thats later in the bedr.....:(

No seriously. Any ideas? I know pretty much how a bad gearbox sounds like a high wining, but this sound is much lower and increadible loud!

Does it happen irrespective of being in gear or in neutral?

For example if you get up to 60 kph and then take it out of gear and coast in neutral, does the noise still happen between 50 and 40 kph?

No, only in gear. And its aways there at that speed. For some reason it seems louder if I dont have so much throttle. Which I would think would relief what ever is taken a beating. But if I give more power/throttle it seems it gets little better until I hit 50kmh. Then its gone...

You could perhaps try going up through the gears with the transfer box in neutral, though this is unlikely to show up any issue as there will be no load on the gearbox.

Or maybe try it in low range and see if the noise occurs at a specific speed range again (which will obviously be lower) or if it doesn't happen at all.

You could perhaps try going up through the gears with the transfer box in neutral, though this is unlikely to show up any issue as there will be no load on the gearbox.

Or maybe try it in low range and see if the noise occurs at a specific speed range again (which will obviously be lower) or if it doesn't happen at all.

OK, Yeah, thanks. That was a good tip. Trying in low range. I will try that tomorrow.

Also try neutral. First thought was of course that should not give anything, but yes of course. The gearbox will still "process".

Thanks for the tip.

/Martin

Chock the wheels and remove the prop shafts for UJ inspection and replacement or servicing - 50 mph is about the speed that prop shafts hit harmonic frequencies with 3.54 diffs.

When you write 50 do you mean miles or km? My problem is at 50km/h. 50 miles per hour would be 80kmh and at that speed i dont have a problem!

UJ would be a simple fix!

I was going to come back and suggest the UJs. They tend to drone rather than whine but at the same speed regardless of gear selection. It is almost always worse when not under load. Park on the level, chock the wheels and release handbrake (important) and stick in neutral. Lie underneath and give the props a good wiggle and any play in one of the UJs should be pretty obvious.

I have order 4 new UJ. Cheap so why not change all.

I manage to make a video. Sound quality is POOR.

The sound is MUCH louder in real life and like Mountain Man also says, its not a wining. Its more of a DRONE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYIRrFC-gm4&feature=youtu.be

What do you thiink?

Please note its KM/H and wait for me to decrease the speed to 45 after reachg 50!

• 2 months later...

Hehe. I think I solved the problem. A little at least.

I changed my transfer box flanges and at the same time my outer bearings. Rear/front. Now the wining has dissapeared, almost atleast. Just thought I let you know.

Thank all who wrote the instructions for replacing the bearings!!!! Went smooooooooth!

/Martin