Suggestions for either blinds or curtains for a 110 Defender

I am slowly turning my 110 into an overland. The one thing I am struggling with is the bling/curtain side of things. There really doesn't seem to be much information out there for inspiration. I would prefer to have something that covers the front cab up rather than just the rear, with something similar to the last picture on the page I have linked, I would prefer something on the inside, but if that is an actual part, then it may be a good option for me.

Suggestions anyone?

http://expeditionportal.com/a-look-inside-a-london-capetown-land-rover-defender-110/

2.jpg

I must have done a lot of things wrong when I prepared my Defender for southern Africa. We slept in a ground tent

img3219or.jpg

kjrx.jpg

dsc00903qk.jpg

It's much more important that everything, yes everything inside is tied down.

Really if I have to explain how to fit interior curtains you'll leave me speechless.

• Like 1

When I've slept in my 90TD5 I've either used clothes-pegs to attach towels to the insides of the windows/door/tailgate, or thrown a big tarpaulin over the whole vehicle.

[biggest issue sleeping in a 90 is rolling over and getting the gearlever in your ear]

There are various companies that do insulated pads that are tailored to the shape of the windows and stick onto the glass with a little sucker in each corner. They help keep you vehicle cool when hot, or warmer when cold. Popular with camper vans.

Remember soft fabrics will soak up dust.

I must have done a lot of things wrong when I prepared my Defender for southern Africa. We slept in a ground tent

It's much more important that everything, yes everything inside is tied down.

Really if I have to explain how to fit interior curtains you'll leave me speechless.

Was there really any need for an unhelpful answer?

Yes I could make my own but I would prefer to purchase something more professional, especially for when I stealth camp along roadsides etc, and also when I take it up snowboarding later in this year all the insulation I can muster will help. I also thought I may have got some links to some well made blinds or curtain kits etc, as there have been plenty in the past when I have kitted out T5 campers.

There are various companies that do insulated pads that are tailored to the shape of the windows and stick onto the glass with a little sucker in each corner. They help keep you vehicle cool when hot, or warmer when cold. Popular with camper vans.

Remember soft fabrics will soak up dust.

Been looking for these, but I don't seem to be able to find any tailor made ones for a defender, I think it may have to do with the rear stop light on the back glass.

When I've slept in my 90TD5 I've either used clothes-pegs to attach towels to the insides of the windows/door/tailgate, or thrown a big tarpaulin over the whole vehicle.

[biggest issue sleeping in a 90 is rolling over and getting the gearlever in your ear]

Currently using bungess and blankets myself lol.... Amazed that you are kipping in a 90, great stuff :D

I've used the closed cell sleeping pads with good success on the interior panels of my ex Disco, easy to cut to shape for the windows too.

Not to mention a very cheap and easy fit. Currently doing the same with my Defender.

I've used the closed cell sleeping pads with good success on the interior panels of my ex Disco, easy to cut to shape for the windows too.

Not to mention a very cheap and easy fit. Currently doing the same with my Defender.

Cool idea, how did you fix them up?

How about military snow blinds for the screen and doors?

Very nice, but they are a little pricey...... They are something to consider though, thanks.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID018111

Interior panels were stuck on with contact adhesive when required, but most were tucked under the various lips in the body panels etc without any glue, not ideal but it was cheap and very quick to do,in a knackered old disco.

For the windows just cut them to a slightly oversize fit and push them into the window frames. I haven't done one for my current 110 windscreen but I would just cut it a snug fit and push it into position, it should stay without any extra fixings. I suppose a couple of suction cups would do if really needed.

I use blackout curtain material (totally opaque ) with a tubular hem on top , with wire spring curtain cable with a hook at each end . Then you can just put a self tapping screw to hook onto . In the rear they are permanent , just close or open to suit . On the side doors they are just clipped on when needed. The tricky one is the front . I solved the problem by using cut to size curtain as in rear , with a upper tubular hem . The difference is i fitted to flat spring hooks under the sun visor mounts . In the hem of curtain had two lengths of 10mm dia ali tube . its just a matter of clipping the tubes into the hooks . I hope that all makes sense ?

The reason for two lengths is to make storage easier, and to allow for intrusion of interior mirror .

• 4 years later...

My good wife used black out curtain material with velcro sewn on around the top and sides. We then used the sticky velcro on the door and window frames. Putting them up was easy. See them in the rear door and back windows.We also had them for the front doors and used a car shade for the front windscreen. We used them to screen the contents rather than sleep in the vehicle as we had the roof tent. 

Libya (110).JPG

Edited by soutie
Spelling