Heated Windscreen Seal Replacement

The time has come for me to replace the windscreen seal on my TD5 90 and I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or any handy tips?

Basically, my seal has perished and I am on a mission to replace all seals that I can before winter. I have replaced windscreens before (an old Golf I used to have) but never a heated windscreen. Also I have read Happyoldgit's submission and it makes perfect sense, but before I start whipping out my windscreen is there anything I should be aware of as I have a heated windscreen? Is it as simple as unplugging and carrying on a normal?

Thanks

Pretty much 'just be careful of the electrical connections' because if you break them you're in deep doo-doo.

At least a Defender's got a flat screen: some other vehicles I've done screen-jobs on have needed appropriately-placed jacks and props to prevent the body-aperture changing shape when the screen's removed.

Can I ask a favor can you measure the position of the heater elements and connections relative to the edge of the screen. I'm looking into the possibility of cutting down a heated screen thanks.

Mike

Apologies for the hi-jack...

I have a 3 wire screen in the wrapper in the other room, there is approx 2mm top and bottom from the screen to the foil tape that encloses the element. At either side at the bottom there is approximately 60mm of element free glass and there is 30mm "free" at the top. This is an OE pilkington green tint screen.

The end connections are about 65mm from either side.

Apologies for the hi-jack...

I have a 3 wire screen in the wrapper in the other room, there is approx 2mm top and bottom from the screen to the foil tape that encloses the element. At either side at the bottom there is approximately 60mm of element free glass and there is 30mm "free" at the top. This is an OE pilkington green tint screen.

The end connections are about 65mm from either side.

Thankyou hi-jack over.

Mike

Mike, (sorry about the delay) I have a 2 terminal one by Pilkington about 3 years old and the wires come I'd guess to within 55mm of the edge of the screen. If you measure from the edge of the rubber on the inside to the first wire it's 48mm. The connections are either end, and the wires run completely top to bottom; the bottom foil is split, so the path is up one side and down the other. You couldn't reduce it in height therefore (maybe grind off a mm or 2 but the wires are thinner than a thin thing that's been starved, so very fragile) without risking making the foils too narrow. If you want any pics or any more measurements just ask. It takes about 30amps.