strange coolant issue

Hey guys, my first post here as a defender noob,

I have a problem with my td5 defender if anyone can offer done advice?

did my first long run in the defender, apporox 250 miles of motorway driving, after returning home, I've gone to do my usual under bonnet checks to find my radiator had expanded right up, nearly to touch the bonnet, I presume the water in the radiator has boiled for what ever reason.

After replacing the radiator for a new, less bent one, bled the cooling system to find only half the radiator has got hot and all the pipes except the return hose from cold side of the radiator to the thermostat.

Then I presumed the thermostat has sized causing the loss of flow and boiled radiator water. Replaced with new thermostat, bled up, no better, half cold radiator and one cold pipe, next jumped to the conclusion that the water pump can't be powerful enough to pump the water.

One replaced water pump, still no better.

Can someone offer some advice before I slowly rebuild my defender for what probably is a easy fix??

cheers guys,

Lewis

Cheers for the replys,

I presume if the pressure was across the whole system then I would have blown a hose or the bottle before bending a radiator,

As for the hoses, I can see them going anywhere else. All looks normal,

Cheers

Lewis

Hi, this isn't a solution, more of a comment. I'm a 300Tdi man, not a Td5.

If the radiator has distorted that much, I agree the expansion cap should be checked/changed. Excess pressure should come out of the cap, not blow the rad.

But if the bottom half of the rad is cold, along with the return hose, and the thermostat is OK, then I'd be very worried and suspect a blockage somewhere.

If this is the first long haul, it may be the motor hasn't had to heat up fully before under your ownership. I think I'd have the whole cooling system checked first of all. I'd have thought there is the real risk of engine seizure if your carry on.

• 2 weeks later...