TD5 engine vibration around 2,500rpm

I have a 110 Td5 which has a very strong, worrying vibration at around 2,500rpm (no rev counter, so working back from the speed using Mr Ashcroft's calculator). The vibration occurs even in neutral, so I'm pretty sure it's engine and not gearbox/prop shafts/etc. - I have read that the natural frequency of the Td5 is around 2,200rpm so a failing damper can cause problems, I've also read about engine mounts (but I can't imagine the engine is supposed vibrate like that and the vibes just isolated from the rest of the vehicle either).

I'm hopefully going to get it hooked-up to a Nanocom to see if there are any fault codes (it does occasionally stumble & check engine light comes on, for a few moments than keeps going normally).

Any other ideas, advice?

I've uploaded a video but to be honest you can't really get a sense of the vibrations from the video - around 18mph in 1st and then around 28mph in 2nd (there's a 1.2:1 transfer gear in by the way).

Cheers,

Andrew :)

Check over the pulley/damper/balancer on the front of the crankshaft. It's a 2-part thing - with bonded-rubber between the 2 halves.

If the metal-to-rubber bonding weakens and comes free it can make things nastily-vibrational.

If that's OK, the next step gets expensive because it involves dropping the gearbox and investigating the condition of the dual-mass-flywheel.

My experience with something like ten fleet TD5s is that the younger drivers who instinctively change-down-early-and-use lots-of-revs can easily take a DMF and clutch to 200,000 miles.

Older types - conditioned to 'get it into the highest gear as soon as possible' will knock-out a damper/pulley/DMF in 50,000 miles and a gear/transfer-box in 80,000 miles. Shock-loadings increase a lot at low-RPM.

[Data-loggers which record speed/gear/RPM are the fleetmaster's friend]

Check over the pulley/damper/balancer on the front of the crankshaft. It's a 2-part thing - with bonded-rubber between the 2 halves.

If the metal-to-rubber bonding weakens and comes free it can make things nastily-vibrational.

If that's OK, the next step gets expensive because it involves dropping the gearbox and investigating the condition of the dual-mass-flywheel.

My experience with something like ten fleet TD5s is that the younger drivers who instinctively change-down-early-and-use lots-of-revs can easily take a DMF and clutch to 200,000 miles.

Older types - conditioned to 'get it into the highest gear as soon as possible' will knock-out a damper/pulley/DMF in 50,000 miles and a gear/transfer-box in 80,000 miles. Shock-loadings increase a lot at low-RPM.

[Data-loggers which record speed/gear/RPM are the fleetmaster's friend]

Cheers, I'll take a look at the damper assembly on the front. I guess the Td5 doesn't have a nice flywheel cover plate like a V8 which lets you take a gander at the flywheel...

Motor is ex-Kent police, so hard to say - I guess it depends on the copper who was driving ;)

A.

I had vibration on my TD5 around same speed under acceleration which was the turbo waste gate seized.

Have you checked that?

Thanks morgan - it's a possibility definitely. V8freak and I had a look at it a couple of nights ago and the wastegate was pretty stiff - I'm giving the actuator daily doses of penetrating oil. V8freak has very kindly lent me his Nanocom so I can watch the boost pressure on the Nanocom and see if it's link to the vibes. Neill also lent me viscous fan spanners so I shall take the fan off tomorrow and have a look at the damper pulley.

A.

So I spent a couple of hours with the Landy on Saturday (makes it sound like a 'relationship', which isn't entirely inappropriate...).

Started with the damper - put the big spanners onto the viscous fan to remove it and while trying to position them for belting with a hammer the fan came undone - it wasn't exactly loose but it certainly wasn't big spanner and hammer tight. Anyhow, took the fan off, released the belt tension and had a good feel of the crank pulley (oh er missus, etc.) - it felt fine, no obvious play either rotational or big-forth. Not having a replacement bolt or much time, I decided against taking the pulley off for a closer inspection.

Next I took off the cam cover and checked that the injector codes matched the ECU settings, which they did. I also checked the injector clearances - cylinder 2 was a little on the loose side, almost two turns from the plunger being seated, the others were all pretty fine.

Finally I took a look at the wastegate. I managed to get the actuator rod disconnect from the wastegate and the wastegate itself was moving very freely, no stiffness at all. The actuator seems OK, moves if you pressurise it with a bike pump. I gave it a drop of oil anyhow and put it all back together - didn't change the adjustment on the actuator rod at all.

Outcome is that tightening that injector pump seems to have removed a slight tappety noise at idle. I *think* the vibrations may have lessened as well - there still is something there which I noticed overtaking a Freelander(!) but I didn't have the Nanocom connected so it may just have been reaching revs that Td5s don't like - it did seem to be higher up the rev range. (I've slightly screwed-up my diagnostics by installing a Wright Offroad soundproofing kit as well, so everything is quieter than before - I had one in my old V8 110 and they really are good).

One thing that I am curious about is that I don't seem to be reaching full boost - it should be over 200kPa I think before the wastegate opens. We don't have many hills here to test it but even flooring in third doesn't get much over 120kPa. I can also hear hissing compressed air as I work up through the gears - is this normal or is there a leak (it sounds cool, a little like a dump valve, but I'm not sure it should be there)?

A.

• 2 months later...

So I spent a couple of hours with the Landy on Saturday (makes it sound like a 'relationship', which isn't entirely inappropriate...).

Started with the damper - put the big spanners onto the viscous fan to remove it and while trying to position them for belting with a hammer the fan came undone - it wasn't exactly loose but it certainly wasn't big spanner and hammer tight. Anyhow, took the fan off, released the belt tension and had a good feel of the crank pulley (oh er missus, etc.) - it felt fine, no obvious play either rotational or big-forth. Not having a replacement bolt or much time, I decided against taking the pulley off for a closer inspection.

Next I took off the cam cover and checked that the injector codes matched the ECU settings, which they did. I also checked the injector clearances - cylinder 2 was a little on the loose side, almost two turns from the plunger being seated, the others were all pretty fine.

Finally I took a look at the wastegate. I managed to get the actuator rod disconnect from the wastegate and the wastegate itself was moving very freely, no stiffness at all. The actuator seems OK, moves if you pressurise it with a bike pump. I gave it a drop of oil anyhow and put it all back together - didn't change the adjustment on the actuator rod at all.

Outcome is that tightening that injector pump seems to have removed a slight tappety noise at idle. I *think* the vibrations may have lessened as well - there still is something there which I noticed overtaking a Freelander(!) but I didn't have the Nanocom connected so it may just have been reaching revs that Td5s don't like - it did seem to be higher up the rev range. (I've slightly screwed-up my diagnostics by installing a Wright Offroad soundproofing kit as well, so everything is quieter than before - I had one in my old V8 110 and they really are good).

One thing that I am curious about is that I don't seem to be reaching full boost - it should be over 200kPa I think before the wastegate opens. We don't have many hills here to test it but even flooring in third doesn't get much over 120kPa. I can also hear hissing compressed air as I work up through the gears - is this normal or is there a leak (it sounds cool, a little like a dump valve, but I'm not sure it should be there)?

A.

Hi ...did you fix the problem..I am having exact same issue with my TD5 its impossible to live with over 60mph

• 1 year later...

The hissing air sound could be the well known td5 warped manifold problem - which will also lose you boost.

Check the manifold - head joint at the front & back of the engine for exhaust soot & be prepared for broken / loose manifold retaining studs.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 12/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, Tony Cheeld 1948 said:

yesterday from running well - been doing 100 miles a day to visit mum in Addenbrookes in our td5 110  no problem. Then yesterday as the engine revs increase there's a very strong vibration. almost as though some thing is out of balance. any ideas please? don't want to cause damage. thanks 

Hey Tony, did you ever get to the bottom of this? TD5 1999, from third gear and around 60Mph, on acceleration and even taking it off while deacceleration, there is a heavy vibration from the engine bay. Can feel it through the steering well and footwell.