Heater & Starter exciter short... but where?!

Hi all,

Got a bit of an electrical gremlin at the moment. If I have the engine running with the heater on, when I go to turn it off with the key the starter motor kicks in just as the engine is stopping. Makes a horrendous noise, and isn't doing my starter / flywheel any good at all. It only happens when I have the heater on.

Thus I've reasoned that the heater +ve must be in contact with the starter motor exciter wire somewhere. But I've got no idea where! I can't see the 2 wires anywhere near each other in the engine bay, they don't seem to be touching behind the instrument panel. Do they then just disappear into the bulkhead via the fuse panel, then out of the bulkhead as part of a massive bundle? 300TDi 90, used to be a 2.5N/A but the loom & fuse panel etc was changed as well as the engine.

Is there a diagram somewhere that shows the actual route that the wires take?

Have you tried popping out the starter relay to see if it still tries to crank? Will narrow any short down to before or after relay...ie from ign barrel feed down or from relay to starter solenoid.

Does an 86 90 have a starter relay?? reason I ask is mine doesn't and I've a bizarre starter fault too. Sometimes my starter operates in the glow plug position, certainly couldn't find a relay when I was looking for the cause of that fault.

My 87 with 200 tdi fitted never had one, just a straight feed from the ignition barrel to the starter solenoid. Your fault could be a worn barrel though, just making contact when held in the pre-heat position.

Hi Scott,

that was my first thought too so I fitted a genuine ignition switch which seemed to cure it for a while but now the fault has returned :-( Fitting a Disco 200TDi over the weekend and hoping to find the wiring loom chaffed or damaged somewhere.

Methinks that's possibly Jack's problem too.

Cheers, Paul

Don't mean to hijack this thread peeps but I've just pulled the engine out of the 'Old Girl' and found my intermittent fault and I think Jack's may be something similar. Mine was the thick white wire with red tracer rubbing on the thick yellow wire with black tracer that supplies the heater plugs. Just at the back of the cylinder head, they'd both had their insulation rubbed away and the copper strands were occasionally touching. Methinks the heater motor and starter wires will be doing something similar as the engine shakes to a stop.

Good luck, Paul

• Like 1

Cheers. I'll have to have a deeper look at whatever I can see of the relevant wires this weekend, failing that replace the ignition when time allows. In the mean time, I'll keep turning it off with the battery master switch instead of the ignition!