defender service

Yes I would agree. But if you only do 5,000 miles a year that service is going to be different than for me for example as I do 20,000 or so. My point was just that what is due at that time will depend on the miles covered as well as the time period :)

There's also more to servicing than engine oil and filters. There's also axle and gearbox/transfer box oils to check/change, prop shafts to grease, valve clearances to check. The manual of course lists the schedules.

Yes I would agree. But if you only do 5,000 miles a year that service is going to be different than for me for example as I do 20,000 or so. My point was just that what is due at that time will depend on the miles covered as well as the time period :)

There's also more to servicing than engine oil and filters. There's also axle and gearbox/transfer box oils to check/change, prop shafts to grease, valve clearances to check. The manual of course lists the schedules.

Agreed but gearbox axles and transfer box oils are not an annual item , tappets when they are noisy and to check axle oils etc take minutes so your yearly or half yearly service in my case takes about half an hour.

Add time for a brew and to check brakes and an hour or an hour and a half at most for service its not an inspection just service.

If you do 20,000 on same engine oil and filters and without a check over and grease props then you are asking for trouble, :)