Detroit rear locker. Side shaft strength.

Hi Everybody.

So i have decided to do the Detroit rear locker thing in my 1994 300tdi 110.

As i understand this is a very strong locker and anything else could break but not the locker.

The question now is if i put in the heavy duty Ashckroft shafts and the going gets tough, like a lot of torque delivered throughout the driveline etc, what is going to snap first on the driveline?

In the case of something breaking because of all the torque delivered, will it be easier to replace a broken drive member, a broken side shaft, a broken drive shaft, or some bolts and nuts along the driveline. What i want to say is if i have a choice to replace something with a spare at hand in the middle of the bush, which one would be the easy one to replace?

If it's a salisbury diff then I can only imagine that the half shafts would break next, but only if they have work hardened. I'd replace them while you are hip deep in the axle, ditto flanges.

g.

I have the detroit locker in the back on my 110. Fantastic piece of kit!

I use standard half shafts. The locker is a bit hard on them and I have a good bit of play in them now. I wouldn't be going hard enough to justify ashcrofts half shafts. If you do go for uprates shafts stay with the standard flanges and let them be the weakest point. easy and cheap to replace.

Dantastic, this was what i was thinking because at the moment the ashcrofts are going to cost me the same as the rear DL, so i want to have a weak point that's within reach and easy to replace and if i go into Africa the flanges will not take up all the space inside my spares box.

Just regular tracks shouldn't break the standard half shafts unless you're trying to break them. The Detroit is a full locker so you won't be spinning up the wheels. Unless you are doing pretty mad stuff having the locker there might prevent what otherwise would have been a break. Do you think you need hardened shafts?

I have a detroit locker in the rear of mt Disco 300TDi and a detroit tru-lock in the front, both have traveled over 200,000 kilometers across Australian deserts and tracks with no failure of any component in either axle. That said I dont drive like a maniac - 60KPH maximum in the bush, and on some tracks lucky to see 20KPH - and I'd hazard a guess to say that driving on black-top is harder on the shafts than sand and mud.