Cubby

My new Td5 has a factory fit cubby - my first. I've had middle seats before.

So in my ignorance is there anything I can do to it ? At the moment it just seems to be a box big enough to contain junk piled on top of each other....

Can you get trays or partitions for them ? and can you get inserts for the tray bit on the front ? Are these Cubby trays for sale on eBay something that fits in it's place ?

Apologies for my ignorance !

My new Td5 has a factory fit cubby - my first. I've had middle seats before.

So in my ignorance is there anything I can do to it ? At the moment it just seems to be a box big enough to contain junk piled on top of each other....

Can you get trays or partitions for them ? and can you get inserts for the tray bit on the front ? Are these Cubby trays for sale on eBay something that fits in it's place ?

Apologies for my ignorance !

Your description is about right, that's what mine seems to do - collect junk! But still useful.

Mine has an insert for the front bit that has two cup holders moulded into it - which also collect junk but are occasionally useful for holding cups once the junk is removed.

The cubby trays were fitted to some Tdci vehicles instead of cubbys, so yes they fit in their place. My work 110 has one, it is also useful for collecting junk - just not as much as a full sized cubby.

You could always swap it out for one of the steel security type cubby boxes, I was lucky enough to get one from newbury a while ago-for decent money and it has all of the normal attributes of a standard cubby but you can lock it up.

John

The one on my 90TD5 generally contains a few layers of accumulated fuel-receipts - which then gets plundered every quarter when I need to make a tax-return and have to do the "was this really claimable business mileage or do I have to acknowledge it as personal?" shuffle.

You can't install any communications-grade radio in the cubby - unless you want to cook it.

So in my ignorance is there anything I can do to it ?

Burn it - and fit something secure. Then it is at least useful. I have one of the Mobile Storage Systems boxes which I like a lot. It's the second one I've fitted to a vehicle - and probably not the last!

You can't install any communications-grade radio in the cubby - unless you want to cook it.

You can if you fit a small fan. I have my IC-706 Mk2G in it, which I think qualifies! The fan just comes on with the radio via the connector used to power an ATU. If you use an ultra low noise computer fan - you'll never know it's running. The box has enough small holes to allow air out without drilling additional vent holes. I'm using one of the holes in the back intended for a lighter socket with a 40mm fan. It's also enough to stop your sandwiches cooking!

Si

I have installed an eberspacher airtop 2000 heater in the bottom half of mine, yes it included cutting out the majority of the wooden base and of course vent holes. It fits snuggly, but is very effective AND the whole vehicle gets toasty!!!

the eberspacher is actually mounted on the centre access plate and the cubby fits over (and around it) I haven't yet got round to fitting a "false bottom" / messine shelf above the heater yet - another one day task!

externally the only visible portion is the round vent plate facing the rear seats where the hot air comes out and on closer look a small pipe pointing at drivers feet). The heater controls are currently mounted in gearstick surround mud console.

when said one day arrives, I've been thinking could be useful to have dividers (a bit like a deep cutlery tray) in the top half / mini messine floor in the cubby

sorry - 2002 TD5 9 seater S/W

Edited by MBE_NZ