Oil migrating from LT230 into LT77

I recently noticed that the transfer box (LT230) on my ex-military 110 was using oil. After topping it up a few times I realised that as the level in the transfer box drops, so it rises in the gearbox (LT77). I assume transfer box oil is leaking into the gearbox while on the move (it dosen't seem to happen while standing for a few days).

Can anyone advise how this might be happening and how to fix it please? I've searched the forum and technical archive and found nothing that seemed relevant. Thanks!

Worn seals on the gearbox output and transfer input allowing oil to get across- though I'd have thought it would just escape out through the joint between the boxes first.

Easy to change the seals once the transfer box is off.

Probably means the two have been glued together so the oil can't escape....

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the avice, which all makes sense. I'm following the excellent guide from the technical forum by White90 and trying to remove the transfer box. I've reached the stage where I remove 4 bolts and the nuts from 2 studs that seem to be all that holds the transfer box to the gearbox. I've supported the weight of the transfer box but it remains firmly attached to the gear box. I'm not sure if I've

a: Missed a bolt

b: Not put enough force on to break the glue that ejparrott mentions or

c: Something else.

Help so far much appreciated and I will persevere!

There are the main visible nuts on the rear of the box plus two at the front near the linkages

If a load of sealer has been used it will take a bit of prising Part.

Tap a flat screwdriver into the joint at the top and gently work it round as the joint starts to split.

Thanks Eightpot, reassured that I'd not missed a crucial bolt I moved on to the screwdriver technique which did the trick. A bit nerve wracking making sure to avoid damage. There's some black silicone on the mating surfaces that I guess I need to remove before re-assembly.

The oil seal on the transfer box is in reasonable condition but was hanging loose on the shaft so I'll replace both seals before reassembly.

Cheers,

Rob

I'd recommend the use of 180mm long headless bolts in the bolt holes for alignment when replacing, courtesy of http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6024 (Mine were quite tight so I drilled a hole across the ends as well as make a slot so I could use a small tommy bar), removal of input gear (less to lift and gives a place to grip, less chance of damage), and make sure the hi-low linkage connects before doing up all the bolts - easier to connect when the transfer box is just a few mm away from contact with the back of the main box; well it was on mine anyway.

Making progress, one step forward and two back. I've noticed that the old seals were fitted with the flat side inward, toward the oil. I was under the impression that the lip/spring side should face the oil?

I'll try the headless bolt trick when re-fitting, thanks. For this evening I've ruined one of the seals trying to get it over the groove in the gearbox output shaft so now I've had to stop and order more and will be more careful when they arrive.