Heater fan replacement

It's held into the rear of the housing by 5 studs (8mm nuts) I don't think you'd have enough space to drop it clear and lift out...that's assuming you could even get the nuts undone. Was a long time ago I stripped mine down but I'm pretty sure the footwell mounting bracket on the heater assembly restricts access to a couple of the nuts....plus it's tucked under the wing too.

I haven't physically checked it yet - ie by removing the intake and spinning it by hand etc. The fan died whilst wading so I've pulled the two pin bullet connector and tried it with the powerprobe but no joy - it trips the probe out indicating a dead short

Then spin it by hand. They get jambed easily when wading. Take a hose through the intake and wash it out.

You do understand the wiring as well, I assume? The motor gets constant switched power and the speed switches, switch the ground. If you are just check the resistance across the motor, it will be very low.

I haven't checked the resistance either, I unplugged the fan two pin plug from the resistor loom (which then plugs into the three pin dash loom plug) and gave it 12v with my powerprobe, no dice regardless of polarity. The identical test on my spare motor has it spinning relatively freely, hence my conclusion that the fitted motor is defective

Am I doing something wrong here?

I will remove the intake grille later and stick my hand down the duct to physically check for obstructions/jams and to rotate the fan manually

As I said, it take very little so jamb the fan. The motor will sit there stalled for the rest of time without damage. Putting power to it will do nothing. You won't hear anything and nothing will move. I've done this to mine dozens of times. The fan sits at a low point and collects dirt. It is not the best design in the world.

IMO, living somewhere that gets cold.... The stock fan capacity is fine if everything is in good order. The low efficiency and small matrix is the biggest problem. Good enough for the UK though..... If you really want to improve things, there are much better heaters that are not expensive and not hard to fit.

Thanks C18RCH - was searching through tech archive...!

Red90 - sounds interesting do you have any details or a thread related to the better heaters?

Cheers :)

PS - cold? Last time I was in Canada it was 38 degrees C! ;) (ok, to be fair it was cold on the Athabasca glacier..)

It is only winter 6 months of the year.

This is my heater: http://www.red90.ca/rovers/Heater/ It has actually been completed, but I keep not finishing the web page.... Anyway, that particular one is a bit large which made the install difficult and it would not work in a RHD truck. It actually provide more heat than ever needed, even at -40 C.... The air temperature is high enough to burn. Some more photos here: http://www.red90.ca/photos/land-rovers/Heater showing the intake duct and some of the interior mods.

I would suggest this one: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-991102-1/ would be a good size. It should give around double the heat output of the stock heater and fit well. For something more local, look here: http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/en/heatac I have not dug in to see what would be a good choice, but the prices are not bad.

Hi Red, I have read through your install and checked out the kit. Looks like a great install, the figures speak for themselves!

I'm not sure I can handle fitting the bigger heater solutions, with the squirrel cage fans, although I guess that's the best way.. But I don't want to cut the bulkhead really.

I checked out the matrix's on the carbuildersolutions site and they don't do one as big (smaller by 50mm x 25mm height and length) which is a shame as the prices are good.

I see allisport do an uprated matrix but that's £220-250!

What I would like to have done is fit the bilge blower with an uprated matrix but unless anyone knows of a cheaper, better matrix I think that's out of the window!

will keep investigating.. thanks for your input that's given me a good push forward