Dash Indicator Lights

eds

Can anyone guess why my dash indicator lights work perfectly when indicating but not when the hazards are on :-(((((

I have swapped the relay and the hazard switch to no avail.

I don't understand where to look next.

Thank you :-)))))

It's supposed to do that!

The dash tell-tale works by being permanently connected between the two indicator circuits. When one side is energised, the tell-tale circuit is completed via the other set of bulbs, but because the tell-tale is only .5W, there is insufficient current to light the external indicator lamps.

When the hazard lights are on, there is no voltage difference between the left and right indicator circuits so the tell-tale cannot illuminate. You should get the trailer tell-tale instead, and also the light on the switch itself.

Worth mentioning that on 1998 and later vehicles which have the later dash and a separate indicator for left and right you should get both flashing as they are both wired to ground through individual LEDs rather than to each other through a single bulb as described above.

On pre-1998 vehicles the behaviour you describe is normal as Nick describes.