Rear roof vents

My 110 has the roof vents at the rear above the rear door that were fitted for a short period. I think they are leaking water and need re-sealing to the roof. Anyone know how they come out?

(I could remove them and blank them off, but they make sense if I can stop them leaking)

Guest wunntenn

They might be held in with a screw from the inside. I can have a look tomorrow at the two I recently pulled out if I can find them in my shedhell. Mind you if I hadn't been covering the rear roof with the alloy for the lifting roof I'd have sealed them as they simply suck in exhaust snot. The carpet on my rear roof was totally manky with soot when I looked recently.

Yeah, I originally thought screws, but couldn't see any.

Do they just pull out then? I've just redone all of the headlining, so if I could pull them from the outside and then glue them back in with sikaflex then that would be good! Should have done it whilst the lining was down.

I think they are leaking where they meet the roof as oppose to through the vent. I think water is running down the flat face of the rear roof then between the vent and the roof and into the internal gutter.

9ca4c2d75a0e182048f1f8c71e3d93fa_zpse717

Best pic I could find at short notice...where you see the two rivets are the locations for the spring clips, it'd be easier to see if the clips were rusty like mine but in these new ones it's still black!

To remove if you can depress the clips on either top or bottom then it'll wiggle out. If you just pull then you'll rip the clips off, but if you're sikaflex-ing them back in then it won't be an issue.

Guest wunntenn

Had a look and cant see them - I think I may have binned them. Sorry.

Is the leak you refer to making itself evident at the front, or at the rear in the vicinity of the vents?

I was getting epic quantities of water coming in and thought my rears were leaking but having looked carefully at them and sealed them, leaving toilet tissue around them to gather 'evidence' of water ingress, I found none, but still had a major leak out of the gutter at the front.

When I fitted my lifting roof I took the opportunity to peel, dig and scrape out all the sealant in the gutter along the sides and back and was astonished at the number of holes and potential leak points. Before I slotted the new roof into the gutter I rammed in as much SIkaflex as I could and then more on top. Result - so far no leaks from the front gutter above the doors where I've been battling it for over a decade.

I think the sealing between the rolled over roof section and the underlying folded connection with the lower sides is the source of most of the leaks in the front.

Thanks wunnten. I think it has to be the vents i got my fingers in the gutter and only the rear corner was wet, that could be followed along the curve above the rear door, so i think it is seeping in around them and down into the internal channel that way. I noticed it as it was dripping down around the rear window to the side of the rear door and then pouring off onto the seatbox.