1989 90 2.5td Stop Soleniod Issue

Hi Guys, this is my first post so take it easy on me.

I have just purchased a 1989 90 2.5 td that has not been used for the last 4 years. There is plenty of work to be done on the old girl but first and foremost is getting the engine running. After an hour or two of investigation, I have got to thinking that there is an issue with the stop soleniod so out it came. It would seem I have an incomplete soleniod as there was no plunger or spring! This, I understand should cause a problem stopping the engine, not starting.

With the soleniod out, I am trying to work out if the plunger (or part of the plunger) is still in the pump blocking the fuel. At the bottom of the thread in the pump, there seems to be a square clip with a hole in the center that I imagine the plunger goes through. Can I, should I remove this clip so I can get a magnet further down the hole to remove any debris?

To answer some other questions that may occur, no fuel is getting to the injectors suggesting a blockage towards the rear of the fuel pump. Power is getting to both the glow plugs and the soleniod so I think if I can get fuel to the injectors, she should start.

Any help or advise would be greatly received.

John

My experience is with a 200Tdi, but I think the stop solenoids are similar. The plunger should have a rubber tip and the spring fits over the body of the plunger. It is not unusual for the plunger and spring to remain, but they are obvious to see and should be easy to remove.

You may even be seeing the plunger?

The bottom in the injector pump should just be a machined depression for the rubber tip to the plunger. Turn the engine over (briefly) with the stop solenoid out and there should be some fuel coming out.

My problem with the 200Tdi was the opposite, despite changing the stop solenoid three times and inspecting the bottom of the injector pump, there was enough fuel trickling through that even with the wire removed from the stop solenoid it wouldn't stop! I had to stall it every time - most embarrassing!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter. I am slowly starting to understand the problem which is usually half the battle.

With the solenoid out, fuel come out of the hole so nothing blocking the port. My guess is that the solenoid has become faulty at some point and as a work around, the plunger has been removed.

The square clip I mentioned does not seem to be a clip but part of the pump.

I have just been having a fiddle and took off one of the banjo connections that connect the injector pipes to the fuel pump. No fuel! Is there something between the solenoid and the injectors that would prevent fuel flow?

Not that I am aware of. Somewhere I have a cutaway drawing of an injector pump I used to try and understand the problem I had with mine when it wasn't stopping!

I don't think the 2.5TD is self priming, so have you cracked open the connector to each injector in turn and cranked the engine until fuel is seen ?

The other trick is to use clear fuel tubing so you can see if it's flowing or not (or if there is air getting in) to the lift pump/injector pump!

Cheers

Peter