300 TDI

I'm sure this has been covered over and over but I can't find the info.

Right converting my 200 tdi defender to 300 tdi auto. , fitting engine in factory position

This is the list of things I think I need .. If I have missed any thing please let me know.

Everything from 300 tdi
engine and auto-box and cooler
radiator and cooling pipes
propshafts
Engine mounts to weld on
Seat box
Floor plates
Both bits of transmission tunnel

Hopefully this is all ?

LT230 is in a different place (2 inches further forward I believe) on a manual 300 tdi defender compared to a manual 200 tdi defender, not sure about when fitting an auto.

When you say factory standard position is that factory standard 300 tdi position or 200 tdi position, I'm assuming 300 tdi.

I think the gearbox crossmember is different on manuals, again no idea on autos.

Hmmm don't think any of my comments are much help really, sorry.

The engine mounts come flat backed so you have to weld them then weld to chassis they are the same

The actual chassis mounts I was gonna buy off ebay with the jig . So I don't put them in wrong place .

The actual engine mounting brackets and rubber mounts on the engine . Are they the same weather be defender or disco ?

Ah, OK. So you are transplanting a Discovery engine and gearbox into your Defender. Then you have a few choices. Using the existing gearbox mount will mean you keep your props. Using the Discovery gearbox mount will mean you have to find a later set of props. Personally if budget and time is a constraint I would keep your gearbox mount as the extra 2" won't really make any difference and you won't need to swap out the seatbox or floors.

Get the steering box and all the pipework from the Discovery, this will then be a bolt in conversion. Does yours have power steering at the moment? If not, are you sure it's a 200Tdi?

Get the radiator and intercooler as this will be different to yours, but if you do have a 200Tdi then you can use the frame and just swap out the rad and intercooler.

The downpipe will be different so get that, and have fun with getting the airbox to fit. You will need to make up some bracketry as the one you have probably won't fit.

Out of interest, I have done a similar conversion on my 110. I went from an short bellhousing LT77 with a Transit DI engine to a Defender R380 and a Discovery 200Tdi. I used the Discovery gearbox mount which moved the engine forward and welded in the Discovery engine mounts. I had to adapt the seatbox and floors to accomodate the transfer box and I will (eventually) swap out the seatbox, floor and tunnel for a TD5 one. I sourced some props from a TD5 110 and this all fits together nicely. The engine is in more or less the same position as it would be in a Discovery so all the pipework fitted with no worries, and I fitted the steering box and pipework from the Discovery to give me power steering.

I had to be a little creative with the intercooler and air intake pipes and had to make a bracket to house the original airbox. I also moved the washer bottle onto the bulkhead.

currently I'm changing to 300 auto.

keeping with 300 tdi parts were possible.

i knew id have to change the radiator. but will the intercooler need changing thought they were the same ?

Mine currently runs a pipe through the challenge wing and up the top of the a pillar with filter on top, so all il do do the reverse but on drivers side.

i have on my list to change the seatbox flooring tunnel etc.

Use the gearbox crossmember from the Disco as well. You may need to drill and tube some holes in the chassis to suit, I can't remember!

You'll need to buy or make something to hold the shifter as well. The Disco shift cable is only just long enough.

It's a good conversion, my build thread here;

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=52483&st=0

currently I'm changing to 300 auto.

keeping with 300 tdi parts were possible.

i knew id have to change the radiator. but will the intercooler need changing thought they were the same ?

Mine currently runs a pipe through the challenge wing and up the top of the a pillar with filter on top, so all il do do the reverse but on drivers side.

i have on my list to change the seatbox flooring tunnel etc.