300tdi cooling system help please

Hi guys

Last week i flushed and replaced the antifreeze (blue) in my 1995 300tdi. The old coolant was very weak and dirty. Checked the thermostat and noticed it was a 75 degree stat.

Replaced the thermostat today with a genuine land rover part ERR3291 and took it for a run (15 mile). All was perfect, there and back. Even cured the poor heat output from the heater and the gauge stayed mid way no matter what load on the engine.

However, i returned home had a cuppa and then went back out to the vehicle to see a puddle of water on the floor and sound of water escaping (not massively). To find the header tank was split around the seam. Im led to beleive this is common problem.

So, is this due to it getting too hot from the new thermostat?

Or maybe poor anti freeze mix?

Or is it just a coincedence its happened at the same time, and the increased heat has opened up?

Many thanks in advance

the black plastic header tanks are known to split, this is the replacement http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/9526/PCF101590-EXPANSION-TANK.html?search=expansion%20tank&page=1

same shape & fittings in white translucent plastic, must get one for my 110.

Thanks Ralph, thats a releif. I was worried the previous owner was disguising head gasket with a cooler stat. Or even what i had done with new coolant.

Are they clear plastic ones the same material do you know? They look a bit nicer than the cream coloured ones you linked to. (cant beleive ive just said that haha)

No, not clear plastic (mores the pity) they are translucent and it's hard to see the coolant level externally -- and even these can split, mine did with such force it damaged the bonnet :o - lesson here was not to fit an electric fan -- the motor had burnt out due to one too many creek crossings and excessive egress of water