disco 300 tdi engine conversion

stay with the existing LT77 box, that makes it much easier & will get you back mobile a lot quicker,within the our tech archive & internet in general this engine fit as you've found has been done loads of times, so all the little 'trip ups' should have been cleaned out of the process.

depends on how factory it needs to look, the 300 will sit quite far back against the bulkhead with the lt77 from memory. You will have to make up custom pipework to bring it forwards to rad and intercooler and maybe use an electric fan.

However if you go r380 the floor, seatbox and tunnel will all need modifying/replacing to get the r380 in. not to mention replacing propshafts and gearbox crossmembers and welding engine mounts.

If you use the disco engine anyway you wil need a custom downpipe to get past the engine mount/crossmember.

iI you want factory look I'd spend £70? at ashcroft and buy the adapter to fit your lt77 gear lever housing onto the r380 gearbox, use the disco front prop and get a 300 tdi rear prop. I have just done a 90 for my self, all the little bits to make it look original make it into a bigger and more expensive job than expected. I'd have been better off buying a complete donor defender rather than the disco I had.

In reality I would say its easier to go the 380 route , and then all you need is tunnel parts, and the engine sits where it should exhaust and other pipes are all standard , for later replacements . JMHO Its the way i tackled the disco 300tdi auto into my 90.

I done this same conversion on my 90 just stuck with the lt 77 and just cut a section out the housing moved a dowl and fitted the 300tdi gasket to the box and it works like a dream I'm not 100 % on the dowl though as my doner was a auto ah also had to change the fuel pump my 200tdi as the fly by wire clearly wouldn't work