hree wire radiator sender, two wire fan...problem?

Hi Guys, done a search, can't find anything relevant, although I expect a flaming from the 'viscous brigade'.

I have obtained a new aluminium radiator with electric fan fitted. The fan is a two wire, the sender unit in the rad has three poles.

The supplier has sent some instructions from a 'similar' sender and they involve a switch in the cab.

I'd rather not have that, so I am thinking of handing back the three pole switch and fitting an adjustable controller to the rad so I can fit and forget.

Is this sensible, oh wise ones?

Cheers

D

ps 1991 110 200TDi CSW

My Alisport three terminal is a two-in-one package. So if you had two fans one would cut in before the other. But.....I figure you can connect the lower temp side through a resister and the second connection direct (bypassing resistors effect). Then you get a two speed temperature controlled fan :)

This is in my mind because I have the big 20 amp Kenlow running all the time with two speeds via a switch. Plus two pusher fans on the thermostat. If I could keep the Kenlow on Low speed until it is really needed I'd save battery a fair bit.

I re-read that and need to point out that the Kenlow runs all the time the ignition is on and I select low speed for trialing and full 20amp for winch challenge.

I'm immune from the viscous debate because the rad is in the back ;)

I re-re-read that and need to point out that my three terminal sender only has one side used, so there is no third wire on it right now.

I think the switch on your diagram will be an over-ride function? If you went that way you could start cooling before the steep hill?

But it could be a wading switch? Which sounds like a head-gasket on-off switch :rofl:

Mine has two spade facing one way and one at a right angle, which is the battery feed (fused).

mine has too, I just need to work out which of the two parallel ones is the high temperature one..pot of water on cooker and multimeter to the rescue

Cheers

D