Another Heavy Clutch

kevin50

OK, Read loads on how to solve heavy clutch.

My Clutch seems very heavy compared to some others that I have seen, Wife refuses to drive it until I get it sorted.

Read about Red Booster, new springs ect, ect.

A couple of garages Ive been to recomend a new Valeo Clutch Kit, saying this will sort the problem out.

Apart from been heavy my clutch is not to bad, gears seem to go in ok, very little crunching or grinding ect, only thing is sounds like Thrust Bearing is going so maybe time for a new clutch.

Would this new Valeo Clutch Kit make it much better or is it better going the Red Booster way??

Thanks Kevin

try lubricating the clutch pedal pivots in the housing in engine bay, if dry these can make pedal operation very stiff/heavy.

Tried that Mate.

Made a little difference but not much. Only thing I have not tried is to see if I can get a weaker spring on it.

Just fit a 300-type pedal as suggested. It'll make a world of difference. I was used to heavy clutches for over 15 years when I developed this niggling pain in my groin. For a while i thought it was hernia then i realized that I only felt it after driving my 90. I tried to ignore it for a year but when a friend of mine had a spare clutch pedal from an auto conversion, I couldn't refuse it. I fitted it and less than 24 hours later, the pain was gone, never to return.

A mate has a TD5 and just couldn't take the clutch any more. His choices were to fit a red booster or sell the 90. He chose the former and the pedal can literally be pushed down using the little finger!

• Like 1

Changing the clutch can help, when they get old they can become very stiff to operate, usually because the pressure plate starts to collapse (had a fiat marea that had a massively heavy clutch until the pressure plate was changed). However, it sounds like you just need to grease all the moving parts of the pedal or swap the pedal box as suggested above.

A worn friction-plate can often make the clutch heavy: when it's well worn down the various lever- and fulcrum-ratios of the clutch linkages are working at their limits; likewise the hydraulics are operating over less-than-efficient volume/displacement ratios and the result is a heavy clutch.