300tdi turbo/boost issue

Hello all, il try to explain this, basically the defender runs lovely and works fine until I try to really open it up on a dual carriageway as soon as I do I get a ploom of black smoke and lose power this is due to the top intercooler hose collapsing in on itself now I have put a new hose in there and still no luck, but I am confused as to why it collapses in on itself as you can see before it does that the pipe is expanding to indicate boost but then it just suddenly crushes in like it's lost all boost also forgot to mention it's got a brand new turbo as this issue was here before hand any ideas anyone?

If the top hoses collapses then the indication is that the engine is drawing in more air than the turbo is providing, ie the demand is greater than the supply, so, first check that the intercooler isnt blocked with gunge, remove the intercooler and flush it out, (I'm assuming here that the filter is new !!!!), if this all fails then it's the turbo, that will mean a new cassette, you can obtain a new one from China at a fraction of the cost of a genuine Garret unit.

Hello boydie thanks for the reply I hope the turbo isn't dead as it's a brand new one well re con, yes filter is new but I might have to double check intercooler as I did flush it out with very potent stripper but that was it really so will re flush and see what happens thing is it done exactly the same thing with the old turbo which I thought it was that so replaced it but will let you know thanks

Yes, check the bottom hose too, and the one from the air filter to the turbo. My hoses looked fine when I took them off and checked them, but changing them to silicone hoses unleashed quite a bit more power, so they couldn't have been as good as they looked.

Hello lads found the problem! Its with the airbox basically if I take the end of the cylinder off and drive it works so it's got to be between the snorkel and the airbox but I'm confused as I renewed the hose that comes from the side the snorkel comes from so that must mean the snorkel piping must be too small but it's made by bearmach so who knows

Hey all resolved issue some how the snorkel hat has restricted the airflow that much it cause all the problems take the hat off and I get full boost so I'm wondering how much I have to butcher up the hat to get enough air flow it's a bit messed up though as it is a bearmach snorkel so I wouldn't expect it to restrict the air flow

Yeah I would say around 6 inches and no engines a conversion and I'm running the cylinder airbox although I noticed there is too sizes and I have the smaller one I do have the larger cylinder one but I cannot get it to fit as the size of the hoses to be attached is 3 inch so I need reducers if I am to use it

I run a 200tdi with the same snorkel top, big intercooler, upped boost and fuel and a K&N filter. I have a 2" gate valve on the airbox to let more air in when the snorkel isn't needed, but to be honest it makes no difference so I can't see how it could cause a problem.

I don't know but as soon as I take the hat off the top hose doesn't collapes and I get full boost everyone I have spoke to have been baffled too as most people have the same / similar snorkel but it could be down to the smaller airbox I have but even when I wasn't running a airfilter at all it still done it it was snorkel straight to turbo still top hose collapses so I really don't know there is no blockages anywhere

Yeah I would say around 6 inches and no engines a conversion and I'm running the cylinder airbox although I noticed there is too sizes and I have the smaller one I do have the larger cylinder one but I cannot get it to fit as the size of the hoses to be attached is 3 inch so I need reducers if I am to use it

What size are the hoses that you have at the moment? What are they from? I wouldn't be reducing anything, fit the bigger box and the hoses to suit.

The hoses being used are the standard landrover ones so I think there all 2 and half inch hoses so I can't see why it wouldn't work as everyone else uses standard hoses and it all works for them, and the airbox I have came with a reducer standard as one fits the standard hoses amd the other end had a reducer to fit the turbo end

The hoses being used are the standard landrover ones so I think there all 2 and half inch hoses so I can't see why it wouldn't work as everyone else uses standard hoses and it all works for them, and the airbox I have came with a reducer standard as one fits the standard hoses amd the other end had a reducer to fit the turbo end

Ahhhh fair enough, when you mentioned reducers I imagined some tiny hoses! Sorry!

Just a thought, we bought one of these tops off ebay to fit to a tractor, but I did notice that it had smaller holes in the underside, and less of them, than the one on my 110. I wonder if someone has fitted a different top which looks the same, but isn't. Another idea that just sprung to mind, it could be a manufacturing fault where the pipe was inserted too far before it was welded. Could you try the top from somebody elses snorkel to see if it makes a difference.