R380 whining and screaming

JMZ153

Hi there,

Can anybody tell me if it is the transfer box or the actual gearbox that is causing the noise.. On acceleration and overrun there is a very loud whining noise coming from the gearbox area. It has got worse over the months and my mechanic has said that it is because i dont have a proper l/r tunnel carpet >>>>> B**LS**T!!!!! I have 35 inch insa turbo tyres on my 90 which are nice and loud cruising down the road... with this whining noise, i cant even hear them.. that is how bad it is.. 4 days ago a slight metallic sound has come into the picture and im abit worried to be honest that the whole thing is gonna blow up.. Are there any ways that i can check in order to find out if its the gearbox or transfer box?

James

Sounds ominous but I always like to investigate myself initially rather than rely on someone else. Have you checked the fluid levels in the main and transfer box, if not I suggest that is the first thing. Second is take it out for a short run then get under and feel if there is heat and if so which box. Does the vehicle roll freely in neutral or in gear with the clutch disengaged, does the increase in noise coincide with any changes you have made etc etc. Next steps might involve getting your hands a bit dirtier ;)

when the noise first started, levels were fine.. transfer box looked as though there was water present but i had drained it and refilled it.. i have plans to drain both boxes and refill with new oil to be sure 100%. yes the vehicle rolls freely in neutral as well as in gear with the clutch disengaged.. once ive changed oils and if the noise remains which i think it will, what will you suggest next?

Go for a drive and think about what's happening in each gear...

Is the noise related to road speed or engine speed, what affects it?

It's noisy on overrun, so is it still noisy if you put the transfer case in neutral? What about in low range?

What if the transfer box is in gear, but the main box is in neutral?

Does the noise go away in 4th gear? what about reverse gear?

These sorts of tests will give you clues where to look before you get your hands dirty.

Still haven't had the chance to drain the oil and check it :/

From what I can tell, the noise is related the engine speed and not road speed.. with the transfer box in neutral and main box in gear, there is no noise same goes for the main box in neutral and transfer box in gear.. I haven't heard the noise in reverse but then again, I reverse at low revs so I'll try reverse abit agressivly next time and see what happens. The noise is there through all the gears, 1,2,3,4,5.. ????

If it's related to engine speed, not road speed, and present in all gears then it would have to be related to the clutch or gearbox input shaft, but that doesn't stack with there being no noise with either main or transfer box in neutral, unless it's entirely load dependant.

But if we're running a sweepstake, I'll bet the bearings on the input gear of the transfer box are shot. They make a hell of a racket when they fail.

You can pull the PTO cover on the back of the transfer box and pull the gear out to check them. Check any of the articles on changing transfer box in the tech archive. You don't even need to drop the oil first.

The good news is it's not too hard to fix if I'm right.

So still haven't had the time to check oils but that will be done very soon!!! Last night I removed the front prop shaft because a uj is failing.. I found out that the output flange where the front prop shaft fits onto (on the transfer box) was loose.. I tightened it and decided to go for drive around the block to see if that had anything to do with the noise. The noise is still there both on acceleration and over run.. but now on over run, there is a very bad noise coming from either the gearbox or the transferbox... it sounds like it's trying to disengage the gear..