clutch problems

IanT90

Since I picked up my defender in July I have had the odd gear change problems mainly 2 and 4. Thought gearbox was in need of a swap for a recon. However just started having clutch problems. The pedal has started to occasionally stick part way down. I have also noticed the bite is quite close to the floor I can press the pedal almost all the way down before the clutch disengages. Past experience tells me with the bite that low and struggling to change gears clutch is well worn. Sticking pedal mystery though unless release bearing sticking. Any thoughts ? Read workshop manual and is says drain coolant system and remove engine oil feed pipes etc before removing gearbox don't remember doing this on my old 2A.

Any tips or feedback appreciated.

I had problems with sticking clutch pedal earlier this year on a 300tdi. I was suprised to find it was just corrosion in the pedal pivot - soaking the axle in penetrating oil for a couple of days sorted it temporarily. Easiest fix was a new pedal assembly, they are only about £30 gen parts.

I changed the master cylinder at the same time, just becuase it was 8 years old and has a lot of miles on it. The gearshift seemed to improve a bit, though I'm not sure why - I didn't find anything wrong in the old one, possibly just the adjustment being different. A low clutch bite point suggests hydraulics to me, rather than worn clutch? Could be low fluid, master cyl, slave cyl or the flexi pipe - check in ascending order of cost :i-m_so_happy: