Defender nut and bolt rebuild using galvanised nuts and bolts ?

Hi every one new to this site so would like to introduce myself

I am currently undergoing a complete nut and bolt rebuild on my defender 110 and could do with someone's knowledge on nuts and bolts as far as I am aware people are starting to steer away from using stainless as it reacts with the galvanised steel

So what if I were to use galvanised nuts and bolts to restore my defender back to tip top shape

Any knowledge in this field would be greatly appreciated

Ben

• Like 1

It sounds a good plan. SS certainly rots ally pretty badly. But the problem is differing metals touching each other. What you really need is a bag of hard plastic washers. (like some spotlight kits). I'm not saying fit the axels with plastic washers, but other stuff. certainly it is a real good trick for fastening splash panels under the wings. If you stop dirt accumulating around body fixtures by stopping the dirt in the first place it really helps the life span :)

Plastic tubes round the thread as well if you can make that work? Basically 100% resistance between bolt and truck.

I'm not sure on silicon sealer + nyloc nuts? Having seen how locktight can protect threads I wonder if that is an option? If you can remove the electrolosis or the moisture between the surfaces it'll work.

The biggest threat is existing ally corrosion. I haven't figured how to kill that yet. I need to before I don't have an 88" S1 anymore :)

The best thing to use on waterpump bolts etc to stop corrossion is this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HEAD-STUD-SEALANT-GM-3835215-GENUINE-HOLDEN-BOLT-GASKET-SEALANT-AC-DELCO-250ML-/251463773911?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8c68aed7

Its the stuff originally specified for rangerover head, and waterpump bolts when launched back in early seventies , Ive used it for years , my current tin is nearly empty , so am about to find out if I can get in UK as i bought my last tin in Australia !

http://www.gracosupply.com/p-59192-3m-scotch-weld-ec-776-fuel-resistant-coating-quart-with-specs.aspx

gives the specs used also in aviation industry

I think I can say that I have some long term experience of using SS fixings on a LR.

Back in 1999 I bought my 1986 ex-MOD 90 and then over the next 12-months completely rebuilt it using a new body (only original part retained was the seatbox). All fixings (apart from engine mounts, suspension, tow-points etc) were replaced with A2 SS and on assembly were put together with copious amounts of Copperslip and / or Waxoyl.

To this day I have never had any corrosion cause by the use of SS fixings. The door-frame has reacted with the alloy skin and the alloy windscreen frame has had to be rubbed down and repainted but none of the fixings have caused any problems. Working on the vehicle is a delight as all fixings come undone with an ease that is totally unexpected (bearing how long it has been together). The only place I took any additional precautions is where the rear tub bolts to the cross-member, I made up some plastic gaskets out of an ice-cream tub and slotted these between the five tabs and the tub. The SS door-hinge screws went into the standard captive nuts but once again copious amounts of Waxoyl on assembly meant that when I removed the doors last year they came undone with ease.

I learnt long before then that using SS bolts on the exhaust was the way to go, no matter how rotten a joint is the bolts always undo and I have never snapped a SS bolt or had to cut one off which was almost always the case with HTS ones.

• Like 1

On ally corrosion all I can find really is; http://www.vanchem.com/better-alternative-to-using-phosphoric-acid-on-aluminum . I've used Genolight on steel and a few applications is good. I've also used it post-sand-blasting where it works brilliantly to get those last pesky rust crystals out. The worse the quality the metal, the better the effect! But I couldn't get it to work well on ally. It does appear to be the thing to use though, so I can only think to use genolight or something similar and wash it off before it dries ugly :)