Taut Brake Pipes

eds

Just got back from Wales where I did a green lane.

On one bit up a steep rocky bank there was a big bang which sounded like the suspension breaking.

I stopped and inspected and the front drivers side was fully extended and the flexi brake pipe was stretched taut. 1 more inch and I would have lost my brakes in the middle of no where. I was lucky the thing did not rip apart.

I have OME springs and shocks on the front which I think give a +1 inch lift. I have goodyear +2 braided flexi pipes on.

Should this have happened, was the bang something dislocating? I can't see any damage. It might have been just the suspension shifting axis. Still does not explain how the flexi pipe took all that stress.

The green lane was easy for a pro but for me on my own with no experience or winch it was pretty scary, especially as my wife had found a "secret road" and we were not expecting any obstacles! Luckily nobody was coming the other way and the road was sound enough for standard ups and downs. Would recommend to any one wanting to try their first lane!

I had that with es9000 shocks, the +2 inch suspension lift actually means +4 inch extra shock travel. as the rod and the body are +2 inches. It's a right pain with brake lines etc. unless you have something to limit the travel like a spring hanger then some dislocation cones are worth a purchase.

I found out the hard way you can't clamp up braided brake lines, they don't unsquish afterwards. Meaning you need to buy new or use a stopper.

Thanks for the replies............

Are braided hoses all looks then? Rubber preferable as you can clamp?

I was worried the shock had broken. I thought the shock was supposed to limit travel. Obviously +2inch hoses do not mean +2inch lift but +2inch in length.

Am I supposed to be able to work out how far the suspension can travel by data or by jacking up the truck?