gearbox noise when driving

IanT90

I have an annoying tapping sound which appears to come from the gearbox. If I stop put it in neutral it goes away although occasionally when I get home from trip out and park up I get a metallic wearing noise in neutral it disappears when I dip the clutch.

Wondering if its the clutch release bearing ?

One other strange point ticking noise also seems to disappear or is less noticeable when its been raining ? Checked tyres no stones etc and nothing catching on propshaft.

Difficult to pinpoint as I need to be driving when it occurs.

Any ideas ?

I've had exactly the same with my Series 3 for a couple of years. I'd guessed at release bearing, and when we changed the box in the summer after loosing second, I looked at it and yes there was a lit bit of a noise, but not much, Chucked it back in anyway, as the current box will be coming out again when I've rebuilt the original as this one jumps out of third. I've never worried about it

Struggling with couple gears 2nd not too bad as long as revs are right 3rd crunches occasionally 4th is a pain starts off okay but when box warms up struggle to select it.

Debating whether to bite the bullet in spring and swap the box for a recon plus fit new hduty clutch kit. Or to take a chance and just replace full clutch assembly and put new oil in the box !

Read some poor reviews on recon boxes and seems a shame to change this one if oil and clutch change resolve the problem ?

My passenger side swivel is real priority followed by drivers side which is less urgent. Plus don't know when cam belt was last done, so plenty of other financial priorities waiting to sap my running away fund :-)

Apart from the annoying tapping/ticking noise and poor gear selection the box sounds and behaves well !

If the whirring noise goes away when you push the clutch pedal it'll be noisy layshaft bearings , which they all seem to

do to a lesser or greater extent . An Oil change would be a good idea , at least you will see the state of the old oil and will

know the quality of what goes in . The tapping noise may be backlash in the fifth gear train , does it go away when in fifth ?

My LT77 has been doing both these things for the last 90k miles and continues to select and drive fine

cheers

Steveb

Seems to be on all the gears even 5th although not quite as noisey in 5th.

Rather than change the box may just change lay shaft bearing seal and replace full clutch assembly.

If I then change oil it might with luck improve things.

Is the lay shaft bearing straight forward to remove once bell housing off without major strip down ? I believe oil seal is straight forward but suspect bearing bit more tricky to get to.

I'd suggest the oil change too for the gearbox before going too far down stripping it to see if it lessens the noise which appears to be noted to be in all gears and more a less constant (except 5th)

With regards to gear selection have you changed the clutch fluid and have you bleed the clutch system as that would also be a possible point given clutch travel won't translate to slave cylinder travel if there is air in it (knackered slave cylinder maybe) and the consequence may be a more prominent gear crunch when changing gears especially if it's more than on gear affected

Start with the cheap and simple stuff.... Bottle of brake / clutch fluid and appropriate oil for the gearbox and about an hour of your time

Have changed my slave couple months back bit 95% certain system is bled gear changes no worse or better than prior

Leak on slave cylinder was reason for change.

Might be air still in system causing poor gear selection but doesn't explain tapping noise.

Does get worse after time suggesting oil warming up and becoming less viscous.

Think general consensus suggests oil change which is going to be my first job after re-bleeding my clutch system again (can't hurt to try).