Worth rebuilding the starter motor ?

Hi guys - popping in for a friend again :oops:

Popped round to see his 2000 90 TD5 as he was having intermittant non start issues.

When it does not start there is just a loud clonk noise from the starter motor so im assuning it having internal issues.

Its getting a solid battery voltage to the main stud and hitting it with a hammer seems to have no effect.

Thought id try and undo the 13mm nut to clean the connections up but seems that the stud all the wires mount to wants to trun on its own and guessing it should not do this. Having done this it then started everytime so guessing this is the issue rather than the starter itself ?

If so is it something that can be fixed ? I get the feeling that trying to undo the nut fully will either snal the stud off or its just going to spin so something will need cutting off :(

Is it a replaceable part and has anyone delt with this before as we would rather have a plan of attack rather than break it and then decide what to do :lol:

You can buy a rebuild kit which includes new copper contacts which may have worn out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANDROVER-DISCOVERY-TD5-DIESEL-FULL-STARTER-SOLENOID-KIT-C-W-SPRING-BOLTS-etc-/291196737071?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43ccad962f

That's what I did with mine and I even had the whole starter motor apart too.

Steve

Ta for all the advice :)

After running through it all with him speed was of the essence as he was losing money daily due to it not starting at all now.

He managed to collect a new starter from Devon4x4 so thats been fitted and we will rebuild the old one and keep as a spare when we have some spare time :)