Heater plug replacement

IanT90

Been working my way through full service don't know when it last had one.

Decided with winter coming up I would change the glow plugs as a matter of routine.

Carried out valve clearance check yesterday and looking at the plugs they seem flimsy compared with ones I have changed in past.

This might sound a silly question but is there a special tool for removing them ? Do they need torque settings for refitting ?

Finally are there any does or don'ts when changing them don't want to make an arse of myself by failing to do the basics.

Don't think I have a long reach socket to get past the thread and definitely don't have box spanner that size.

Any tips recommendations or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Ian

Great I have just spent £10 on a set.

I normally don't have a problem starting the engine. However,I work shifts and the other morning (after a really cold night) I came to start my landrover and it struggled so thought it would be a good idea to replace the plugs as the weather is likely to get worse.

Saw a couple of u tube titles which review removing broken plugs hence my initial question on correct way to remove them !

Hate going to garages to have jobs like this done but if it puts the risk in there pocket if they break may be worth it !

Thanks I feel bit more confident now about changing them although I think I will soak the recess with a penetrative oil over couple days before attempting. I think may be worth putting some copper grease on the thread too which might help next time I come to change them.

Although I am guessing its not the threaded section that is the problem ?

I think may be worth putting some copper grease on the thread too which might help next time I come to change them.

A good idea - makes it easier to remove them in future.

I don't torque the plugs - I just use a 10mm box spanner and tighten them good and snug.

Problem is sort of solved I have a cylinder head gasket leak so the heads got to come off anyway.

Plus picking up another head tomorrow already skimmed and leak checked.

So I can take the old heater plugs out at my leasure.

My thought now is do I keep the original head as a backup or sell on to recoup some cost.

Either way heater plug dilemma sorted or will be.