mystery side lights

hello. I'm new to the forums so forgive me if i get things wrong.

I have a 1996 110 defender hi cap 300tdi. the head light switch has burnt out so at the moment i have just been wiring the three wires together to get lights till i get a new switch. yesterday all the wires were disconnected and the land rover was parked up, as i walked by the side lights flashed on for a few seconds, i checked to see if the wires were touching they weren't, now they seem to have come on again not sure whats going on. I've always had much older land rovers that have wires not little magic boxes.

Any help would be great,

• 3 weeks later...

That sounds similar to the problem I have just had on my 96 90. My 90 would sit there with the ignition off but every single light would be on dim, only sometimes though, just enough to see it. Also, if it would start, but I could stop it by flashing the headlights, hooting or sometimes indicating it would immobilize and stop. After testing things out it turned out to be an earth fault in the cable from the blue header block behind the dash. It took some finding though. Good luck

I would second the earth fault hypothesis. I had a similar problem and it turned out to to be the earth strap between the engine and the chassis. It all looked fine externally but once removed the contacts had corroded and there was not a lot left of the cable inside the insulation.