90 starting issues

I getting really getting annoyed with my 90. I drive ten miles stop at a shop for a couple of minutes come out turn it over and it struggles to turn over and dont strart. I then push it as i parked on a little slope and bang starts straight away. I not used it since sunday but it started fine when i left my house. I got a battery meter when its running its on 13.8v so it seems the alternator is working fine. Its happened a few time when its slow to turn over if i connect jump leads it will turn over fast and start with ease. Am i looking at a duff battery it currently has a red top optima battery in it.

Me i'd be checking the earth first!!!.... where ever the earth is fixed to the chassi remove it and clean the area it's fixed to with a wire brush or a file, make sure it's rust free and has a good contact! See if that improves things if not a grown up will be along shortly.

Cheers Mutley

I be checking the earths at weekend. Just to add to the strangeness when I got back last night I turned it off waiting a couple of mins and it wouldn't start. This afternoon I thought I just try it and it turned over a few times and started. Work that one out.

If the fuel is turned up too much would that cause it to struggle to start. Also someone suggested check the timing could that be causing it to be intermittent starting.

At this point i have no idea, could be any number of things, starter motor, timing, injector blocked it may be just a case of elimination? May help if you state which model this is ie. 300tdi or Td5, petrol or diesel!

Hope you get a result cheers Mutley

When the engine's running above-idle I'd want to see more like 14.5V at the battery-terminals, it might drop to 14V when you have headlights/heater-fan/heated-rear-window turned on.

Alternators can fail in odd ways: if one diode in the rectifier-pack goes down it can leave 2 of the 3 phases OK but without the 3rd phase pulling its weight the voltage-regulator will be confused and this can deaden a battery in short order. The charge-warning light on the dash won't light when this happens!