A new security device on the market for defenders

Someone that knows that they are doing could get round it with 2 spanners in about 10 mins (or a grinder in about 30s!), but the vehicle wouldn't be driveable afterwards - but from what I can tell most of them are put on a flatbed if the thief is 'dedicated' anyway...

I'd also be wary that it isn't very obvious as well - I can see the landy being hotwired, stuffed in low range and the guts revved out of it in an attempt to make it move, and from the look of it I'd imagine that the transfer box or gearbox would end up broken first..

Something like the x-eng pedal box is a bit more visible and makes it obvious that there are additional security measures...

erm, if you just unbolt the rear prop then surely you can drive off? OK it will stuff the centre diff but they won't care about that.

I'm convinced the modern thief has a HIAB truck, just lift the vehicle onto it & disappear, no matter how many locks it's got.

I'm convinced there are two types of modern thief, the one of which you speak who'll lift it and work out what to do later ...... but there are still a lot who are breaking into them to drive them off (as they attempted to do to mine the other year).

I *think* that would require you leaving the centre diff open -it wouldn't last that long like that, but would be enough to move it a few streets away for sure.

Personally, I think the only semi-secure way to immobilise a defender is by chaining it down with HT chain and a HT loop in a foot of concrete -as above, they will get it if they want it. no matter how you try and prevent it from rolling/driving.

......Personally, I think the only semi-secure way to immobilise a defender is by chaining it down with HT chain and a HT loop in a foot of concrete -as above, they will get it if they want it. no matter how you try and prevent it from rolling/driving.

Yep, have to agree .... just becomes a pain burying a hoop in the ground every time you travel to somewhere new ;)

Another vote for the x defend pedal lock here.

Being cack handed, the installation of mine had an unintended effect.

As I mounted it too close to the pedals, when locked on, the brake pedal is depressed locking the wheels :rofl:

Not sure about the long term effects, but so far so good.

As I mounted it too close to the pedals, when locked on, the brake pedal is depressed locking the wheels :rofl:

Lol, mine does that to and is from one of the very first batches so you could say it's had a long term test now.

The only issue it has caused me is when I forget about it, I've jacked a wheel up a few times now and thought 'oh bugger, what the hell is up with these bearings/brakes?'

On the plus side it makes checking the brake lights easy :)

I'm convinced the modern thief has a HIAB truck, just lift the vehicle onto it & disappear, no matter how many locks it's got.

The stats don't bear that out however. Hiab / Trailer / Flatbed aided thefts apparently account for about 2% (IIRC) of the total. The rest are just driven away. The Hiab assisted ones tend to be specifically stolen to order.

Most vehicles (80% rings a bell) are just opportunistic - and they are the easiest to prevent with simple security. I'm guessing the remaining 18% are ones where a degree of pre-planning is involved - perhaps stealing the keys etc.

So, even without spending any real money, you can reduce the chance of YOUR truck being stolen significantly. If it's an opportunistic theft, a security device removes the opportunity so they will steal someone else's instead.

One of my favorite low cost solutions is to replace the bypass pipe on your steering box with a short length of braided hose with no-loss hydraulic couplers on either end. Remove the pipe - and the steering is jammed in one position regardless of whether you break the steering lock.

You can achieve the same effect at almost no cost by removing one of the couplings on the pipe and sandwiching a ball bearing between the mating faces, then tightening again. Outwardly it looks normal - bit it's impossible to drive and much more difficult to load on to a trailer. This is only really suitable if your truck is parked up for a long period.

Another simple one I heard was to remove the EGT mounting plate on the Exhaust. It will start and run - but makes a noise that will wake the dead!

My favorite though is to leave an oily copy of the Haynes manual open on the driver seat on the troubleshooting engine problems page with a few oily spanners on top. They will probably not steal something that is likely to break down mid get-away!

Si

• Like 2

I have one of Simon's pedal locks, I bought it at Newbury second hand but unfitted, probably due to the fact the PO hadn't assembled it correctly. My gain great bargain, excellent peice of kit. This new lock system may be very effective but for that money you can get a number of other systems that will be a greater inconvenience or even pay for a gps location system. It would also pay for an extremely good quality chain and padlock to the nearest lampost. The old idea of leaving a cylinder head on the seat I think is probably just as effective.

My favorite though is to leave an oily copy of the Haynes manual open on the driver seat on the troubleshooting engine problems page with a few oily spanners on top. They will probably not steal something that is likely to break down mid get-away!

Si

That is now my new favourite security measure !

Lol, mine does that to and is from one of the very first batches so you could say it's had a long term test now.

The only issue it has caused me is when I forget about it, I've jacked a wheel up a few times now and thought 'oh bugger, what the hell is up with these bearings/brakes?'

On the plus side it makes checking the brake lights easy :)

Haha

I also managed to fit mine a little cack handed so it presses the brake pedal, its great in my opinion, locks all wheels solid and been fitted for well over a year with no side effects yet :)

i also had the same problem about forgeting about it though when changing propshafts, its impossible to remove a propshaft if you cant rotate it

tom