Turbo has gone wiz,pop bang

Hi all,

Help - put my mind at ease please.

I have just serviced (Thursday) my new '03 130 td5, 130 thou on the clock. drained the oil out etc etc.. and put in approx. 7litres new 5w/40w oil after replacing the filters ... at the same time I have stuck on the EGR valve removal kit. As it supposedly makes it run better. drove fine to start with, made a new hi pitched squeal every now and then on the first run but no excess smoke at all, if anything ran very nice indeed.

Today - squeal is back with vengeance - put it down to clutch release bearing until it dawned on my about the turbo being in time with the squeal - oh dear I thought. about 2 mile down the road it suddenly gets very cloudy behind me (thinking bit weird - didn't notice a bonfire by the road) needless to say engine oil pretty much all gone within another mile to a friends place, engine still sound good mind just not as much power to have (funny that). Turbo once checked has pretty much destroyed itself - that propeller should be rotate freely but have next to no movement side to side right? my propeller has flopped down like its drunk a bottle of whisky and you can move it about like a rag doll by about 10mm. So its knackered - one culprit solved. however why would it suddenly go belly up - there is oil in the intercooler system so I assume its not down to lack of oil to the turbo (I know its in the wrong place at this point but you get my point) is it?

Another observation however when I changed the old filter it didn't have any oil in it? I expected to get a warm oil bath on my hands by nothing- - just a little oil fluid on the top of it. whats that about?

so in a nut shell what else is shot in my landy engine? or is it just unlucky timing and old age? oh yes - it didn't make the squeal with the old engine oil which looked pretty nasty but flowed well when drained.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Which filter do you mean wasn't full? The centrifugal or the standard spin on? The spin on should leak oil all over you when undone. Is the oil pressure light functioning? It is not uncommon for the bolt to fall out of the oil pump drive sprocket but you should have seen no oil pressure. Certainly sounds like the turbo lost its oil feed. Needless to say, don't run it until you're certain you have oil pressure.

would the egr removal have anything to do with it? as I have just seen a how to with pictures and people are removing pipes direct from the exhaust as opposed to the egr side of the exchanger. could a mass of grime of just shot into the turbo and killed it? I wish I new more about stuff 'cos I am a shooting in the dark as such.

The usual is to blank the EGR on the manifold.

When you serviced it, did you let it sit and idle to pump the oil round the circuit before driving off? All too many new owners don't let oil get to the turbo before blasting off down the road.

yep - it had about an hour to chug on its own. sounded happy to me. took it for a spin the next day and all was well (did approx. 20mile) slight squeal noticed (turns out it was the prop rubbing on the sides of it casing). but all happy bar that.

hmm...

Basic oil test is does the light on the dash function - it appears it does. If you want to do a more thorough test then you need to plumb a pressure gauge into the circuit. Paddocks are now selling a kit for doing such, but basically it's just a hose and a pressure gauge which screws into the switch hole. Chris has done an LRTV video about it on Youtube if you want to see how it works. I haven't got a manual for a TD5, but I would imagine the pressure will be something like the TDi's with 25psi idle and max at 55psi - ish

cool cheers.

just had a long chat with a LR mechanic from a dealer. He has done a check and says the only problem I have is that the turbo is shot. nothing wrong with the egr bit or anything else.

I now need to clean out the air intake system/ intercooler from oil and get a new turbo. FEW. I thought it was going to be a bit more hassle than that.