r380 gearbox question

Hi, Disco r380's aren't the same as defender r380's. The lever/pivot are different. You can buy a kit from Ashcroft's to change a disco box so it can be used in a defender. I don't think td5 boxes fit 300tdi's as the input shaft's are longer.

I'm going through the same thing as a need a new box for defender. So many Disco boxes around but no defender boxes.

The Defender ratio's (1st, 2nd & 3rd) are different as well -- 4th and 5th are the same. When I built my Disco gearbox I went for the lower Defender ratios, very expensive exercise but well worth it for the type of touring that I do.

Hi, Disco r380's aren't the same as defender r380's. The lever/pivot are different. You can buy a kit from Ashcroft's to change a disco box so it can be used in a defender. I don't think td5 boxes fit 300tdi's as the input shaft's are longer.

I'm going through the same thing as a need a new box for defender. So many Disco boxes around but no defender boxes.

Chris, if you have a failed defender r380 with a bit of ingenuity and two people you can convert the a disco r380 box to a defender r380 box in about 1hr without disturbing any gears and no special tools needed. I have done this a few times now - I did a brief write up how to do it here last year in reply to somone else.

I would do a photo write up but I don't fancy taking a working an r380 out just to do it!

• 2 months later...