Cylinder head

Hi all,

Think my cylinder head needs some attention?

I've got a choice to make, I can get mine skimmed and tested for around £150 and then refitted is going to cost me £300, now if mines warped then I've got to source a new one, so I figuring it's better just to buy a replacement in the first place?

I've found this on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-rover-200-Tdi-Cylinder-Head-/271753709282?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f45c886e2

I don't really have experience of what a decent one looks like, would you be able to post your opinions please?

A warped head can be skimmed flat (I pay £20 for this). Never come across any other problems with the 200TDi head, so I would forget a crack test. I know it might seem complicated, but removal and replacement of the head is not that difficult, and the only special tools you require to do it is a torque wrench, and a set of feeler guages.

Les.

The danger I think is always that you buy another head and it turns out to be as bad/worse than the one you've got - NOT saying there's anything wrong with the one you've found on ebay.

If you need the car everyday, buy another. You can spend a day swapping everything over and you're back on the road again.

If you don't, well....it'll probably take a couple of days to get it skimmed..unless you know the guys and they can do it quick turn around. It's a head you know 'cos you've owned it for how long..I always like to stick with what I've got. When people ask whether to repair a motor that needs a lot of work or swap it out I always say repair, otherwise you could find yourself even more work, with what you've got, you know what you've got!

I'm not familiar with 200's but just because you have a blown head gasket doesn't automatically mean your head has warped. Cylinder heads will blow, that's a fact of life. Buy a decent 1 meter steel ruler, at least 2.5mm thick. once you have the head off clean it down and using the ruler see if it is in fact warped, and if it is if it is beyond standard tolerance, the chances are that its fine and the head gasket has done what head gaskets do -- fail! my advice would be to replace it with a composite gasket and NOT the multi-layer-metal item. If your head has a tiny deformation the composite gasket will will compress and seal whereas the multi-layer gasket relies on 99% perfect surfaces to make a good seal.

Well, thanks all for the replies.

Bad news from the garage today, they sent the head for a crack test before having it skimmed, it's cracked!

So time for the credit card? Stumbled onto a beut today on ebay! New old stock, should have retailed at £821! Reduced to £199, complete new head with new valves, tappets etc, just bolt on ;-) soooooo happy.

Didn't bother with ebay and went direct to a company called Britcar? Was a bit worried about it being called Britcar, but checked out the part number on Google and it seems it's a genuine LR part!

Think I'm going to dump my bonnet so everyone can see the new head ;-)

OMG!

What else could go wrong?

The saga continues, so the brand new 200 head is the wrong one? So I pick up another 200 head and take it down to the garage, it's the same as the new one? Also wrong!

For some reason unbeknownst to me the previous owner has had a 300 head conversion done???

So now I'm left with a lot of cash tied up in cylinder heads and now on the hunt for a 300?

Unless someone knows if all the ancillaries from the 300 will fit into a 200 head?

I have no idea what pistons, block or what the hell is going on?

The head that came off it is definitely a 300tdi, the injectors are slightly offset, if that makes sense? It could be a 300 block? But the front end pulleys etc are a 200tdi. :-(

why would this have been done does anyone have a theory

Ok, so it seems from what the garage has said and the replies on here, the block is a 200, head a 300? I'll just bite the bullet again and get a 300 head from where ever, it was lovely before the wife drove it and pulled so much better than my mates standard 200?

You can not blame the wife for a cracked head, these things happen.

I can not figure out why some one would fit a 300tdi head to a 200tdi.

There was a time recently where every report said 200tdi heads were like hens teeth. I don't think turners had them in stock for some time either. As a result, some topics on here and people apparently looked at fitting 300 tdi heads.

Yeah I've read that there rare, but I now have 2 :-/ reb you have a PM, from what I have read today, putting the 300 head on gives the 200 the quietness of the 300 whilst improving performance slightly? Plus easier to obtain.

I've also discovered that I do have 300 Pistons as the conversion needs this because of the injectors being in a different position they are shaped to accommodate this?

I can blame the wife, she drove it 400 miles with it in the red and didn't think to do anything until she mentioned it after she got home, pretty conclusive evidence to me?

;-)