LT230 ratio upgrade on 300 tdi 110CSW

Now that I seem to have isolated where the problem noise is on my 110, is there anyone here that has changed the 1.4 ratio transfer box to the 1.2 ratio? Can a standard 300 tdi cope with it ok? Does it go some way to improving fuel economy on a long run? Is it too detrimental to the loss of torque for towing or off roading?

Err discoverys have smaller tyres. Personally if you tow or Carry heavy loads don't do it. I had a disco on 235/85x16's and it was horrible the gearing was all wrong and it made it sluggish and unresponsive which there not good at in the first place. However I do now run 33" tyres on a 1.41:1 tbox and find this spot on it makes the gearing a fraction taller without being to tall. But each to there own and I would find someone who has done it and drive it see what you think.

Mike

I tried a 1.2 transfer box on my 90. 5th gear is great on the motorway but I struggled with 2nd and 3rd as they become that bit higher geared and no longer where I needed for round town. In fact it irked sufficiently to remove it again. I can't think it would be any better on a 110.

HTH

Mo

Dont be daft! Ofcourse itll be fine if you have standard sized wheels on. 300tdi discoverys seem to do ok!

Youll find a lot of people on here have swapped to a 1.2:1 ratio lt230 to help with mpg

Yes people do and it kills the performance. What people forget is, a Disco on "its" standard size wheels, gives it about the same mph/1000rpm as a Defender on standard larger wheels and the 1.4:1 transfer box.

That said, it will work, but just won't feel as speedy, more likely will feel sluggish. And you'll have to go quicker just to have enough power to pull 5th.

I suspect the mpg trade off is minimal overall. Disco's get slightly better mpg than a Defender due to being more aerodynamic with less drag.

I agree with Red90 - but if you have a bit more power and standard diameter tyres a 1.2 box is good. It is still a bit of a struggle to start in high first on much of a gradient when towing, but you do have the low ratios to use which are just the same. Without a trailer and with bit more grunt the old girl lifts her skirts and shifts. If You get a disco box make sure it has a cross drilled input gear - essential unless you want to contribute to Dave Ashcroft's pension plan.

My 300tdi auto 90 has the 1.2 , and 265/75 , its edc engine so more powerful than the standard 300tdi, its good on motorways, not good for heavyish towing, and on single carriageway roads , traffic usually stops me getting tclu .

So, considered opinion is not a good move HTSH

Thank you to all for your replies. I think I will stick to a 1.4 ratio box and plod along the motorways :-) Has anyone here overhauled a transfer box? I have read, on here??, or elsewhere, that it's not too bad to do, with usual workshop tools (puller etc..), but I'd like to chat to someone about what it's like, what to look out for etc?

I have a plan, that I want to get another Lt230 and drop that in the landy. Then overhaul my box, as I think it's just bearings needed and swap the 2nd hand box for my overhauled one.

I have swapped my 1.4 box for a 1.2 in my 110. It is indeed a bit too high now but I think the 1.4 was far far too low for most situations. Its now great for motorway cruising, especially for long trips abroad so overall it was worth while in my case. Yes towing or fully laden can be an issue, I did have to change into low box when attempting a hill start in Malvern once and generally have slip the clutch a bit more when pulling away but I can live with that for better cruising. As said above I think a 1.4 box on 33" tyres would be a pretty good combination.

It might work in conjunction with a VN turbo that boosts at lower engine rpm, so you can pull away more easily in low gears, but I'd agree that for most use, it'd be too tall. Overdrive is the better option, but they're costly.